• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned or not Cleaned that is the question.

15 posts in this topic

I purchased this coin about 1 1/2 weeks ago for $31.00 and looking at the pictures I thought there is a good chance that it was cleaned (dipped). After it arrived I looked at it under my lighted magnifying glass and to tell you the truth I'm not sure now. Again pictures online can be deceptive but I think this is a pretty good representation of this coin and I wanted to ask others who are better than myself at spotting such things. The coin itself however does look better in person than on the pictures and the seller claim that his staff are required to post that a coin may possibly have been cleaned in the listing and this one has not been cleaned but you know how that goes so again I ask. What do you think? This is a purchase from eBay and the pictures didn't save well enough to attach to this message even after resizing but I will provide the URL to the listing. I'm wanting to send it to NGC using the credit I have buy there is the shipping cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Philadelphia-Mint-Silver-Barber-Dime-Free-Shipping-/362071765677?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=jfGJfMi1fOfDu6N2rc7iS2czdF4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Both of you have said it's not worth getting slabbed. Do you say that because of what I paid for it? I have seen the same coin on eBay for over $100.00. O

19 minutes ago, david3142 said:

It has a weird look but that could just be lighting. The coin has likely been dipped but I honestly can't tell anything else. It is probably not worth getting slabbed. 

Both of you have said it's not worth getting slabbed. Do you say that because of what I paid for it or do you say that because there's a good chance it's been dipped?

I think you got a good deal at $34, even if it grades AU details, that's not so bad. You need it to grade MS63 to be worth all the costs. What is the point of slabbing it?  Do you have a registry set?  It looks like a nice album coin. If you want to resell it and it looks UNC with no cleaning, I think an in-person transaction would net you $80, with or without the plastic. 

4 minutes ago, david3142 said:

I think you got a good deal at $34, even if it grades AU details, that's not so bad. You need it to grade MS63 to be worth all the costs. What is the point of slabbing it?  Do you have a registry set?  It looks like a nice album coin. If you want to resell it and it looks UNC with no cleaning, I think an in-person transaction would net you $80, with or without the plastic. 

This is my rationalized thinking about having it slabbed there are actually two reasons. 1. I only have to pay for shipping to have NGC grade it. 2. my collection is worth about $6,000.00 now and I don't plan on selling any one of my coins as they are going to my grandchildren when they are old enough so it's no cost to them. However you did say it may be worth $80.00 slabbed or not slabbed but wouldn't that change over the years when my grandchildren or great grandchildren get them?

As you stated, and as I know, grading from pictures can be very hard. The coin looks very clean to me which I presume was dipped. I also don't see any luster to the coin so it may have been over-dipped. JMO

I think that's a great idea to give them to your grandchildren.  If you intend to pass down the coins to your heirs, then you should educate them on what they will be getting.  Perhaps even take them to a coin show and see if they gain an interest in the hobby! First, they will enjoy their treasures more, and second, if they do go to sell, they won't get taken.

Now that I am seeing the coin on my computer and not on my phone, I believe it has been cleaned and is therefore not worth submitting.  Also, note that a light dipping will generally not prevent a straight grade, but "cleaning" means there are scratches on the surface.

The picture is way over exposed which makes the coin look very bright and white. I see hairlines between the lines, however, which tells me that this coin has been cleaned with an abrasvie. I can also seen enough to determine that the coin has wear on the highest details and was an Almost Uncirculated piece (AU) before someone cleaned it.

Here is a link to an auction where a graded AU 1911 dime was sold.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/barber-dimes/dimes/1911-10c-au50-pcgs-pcgs-population-9-894-ngc-census-3-721-mintage-18-870-544-numismedia-wsl-price-for-problem-fr/a/210094-26080.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Thanks so much. You all have basically confirmed my suspicions and David3142, I think that's a great idea, taking them to shows would be a perfect thing to do in order to spark interest I wish I had someone to do that with me a long time ago. I had to learn the hard way and I still have much to learn and posting on the message board is great and I love the honest feedback everyone gives.

6 minutes ago, BillJones said:

Don't be too hard on him. We all have learn, and sometimes you pay tuition with your mistakes. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes.

Thanks, as I said I still have a lot of learning to do but mistakes aren't going to sway me from this hobby, I love it to much. I was pretty sure that it was dipped or cleaned when I bought it but I thought for $34.00 I would do it. You should have seen me a year ago. I knew nothing and got taken a lot, now not so much.