• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Australia Kookaburra Mint Error

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen or heard of a:

1992 AUSTRALIA KOOKABURRA REVERSE STRUCK THRU S$10 MINT ERROR MS 69

I have not found another online and sent to Heritage Auctions to see if they have....curious as to rarity and value as NGC will not designate it a Mint Error unless it is very prominent and they do not count these in their census figures.  With a mintage of 29,576 it would be hard to believe it could be too rare.

Usually every struck through coin is unique.  There is no catalog, and no way to set a value.  They are truly one of those coins where it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  Often errors on low mintage coins are worth LESS than non-error pieces because someone that collects the series doesn't want a "defective" coin, and an error collector is just interested in the error.  They are like a type collector  If all they want is the type (error) why pay a lot extra for a key date when you can get a nice or nicer common date cheaper?  A mint error on a key date is a white elephant.

Thanks for the information and it makes sense.  I think there is probably a higher niche of error collectors for US coins than world coins as well.  As a new seller, do you have any feedback for where to sell that achieves fair prices.  I have sold on EBAY and it has turned into a flea market where everyone waits until the last 10 seconds to bid and coins just do not seem to sell.  I have never used an auction house as I feel they are only interested in 4 figure coins and up valuewise.

Any opinion I would have on the best selling venue would be suspect as I have never sold my material.  

As for Ebay, sure everyone waits to the last ten seconds, the bidding format encourages that as the best way to buy at the lowest price.  People make the mistake of thinking of Ebay in the terms you would of a live auction.  It isn't like that, it is more like a mailbid auction where the bidders can see what the other mailbidders have bid.  The auction ends at a set time and the highest bidder at that time wins.  But since others can see what you have bid it encourages last second bidding to maintain a competitive advantage.

If your coins aren't selling that typically means you are wanting too much for them.  You start your auctions at 99 cents with no reserve they will sell.  You may not like the price, but they will sell.  You can set a reserve or a higher starting bid to protect yourself, but if they then consistently don't sell you are overestimating the market value of the coins.

You are right though about the major auction houses wanting four figure items.

You might try Greatcollections, lower fees, well known, good exposure and they will take lower value items, but they might not be the best venue for non-US coins.  I can't say for sure as I haven't really searched their site.  They only sell slabbed coins and I only buy raw coins.  I don't even look at slabbed coins for purchase.

Thanks for your feedback and you are correct on all points.  Ebay has turned into an online flea market regardless of the quality of the item being sold.  You have to start bids high and risk it not selling and just doing it over and over til it sells and let Ebay suck you dry in fees.  You start at $1 and risk that no one bids on a $1000 item until 10 seconds is left and it sells for $35...lol.  I am honestly surprised they have not lost more business but it is a buyers paradise.

Best