• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Same coin, different color?

21 posts in this topic

Considering it went from NGC to PCGS and the toning goes from darker to lighter I doubt it has been AT'd between the two..  Difficult to tone it and make it lighter without stripping the color and starting over.  So I would vote for a change in the lighting.

Without regard to AT issues or lighting, and I never judge quality fro pictures as I have always stated I don't know how, it is the same coin. I have a little bit of knowledge in this series, and discounting for certain similarities of strike and varieties, there are 3 tells, between the I and M of Dime, to the left of the D at 10:00 or so, and 12:30 below the intersection of the top of the stalks. An opinion, of course.

Different lighting, and it is the same coin in both photos. The tiny marks are in the same places. It's highly unlikely that the marks could be duplicated on two different coins.

I thought the color on the coin has changed darker when compared the 2 images and that's why I posted the question, but seems like I was a bid nervous.  The coin was graded NGC MS65-star and now upgraded to PCGS MS66 by someone.

I first thought lighting as well but looking more closely, I think the toning has either been helped or continued on its own. There is a pink band around the rim that simply isn't there in the first picture. Also, the green toning on the right stops at the corn in the first but in the second the corn is half-green.  

2 hours ago, david3142 said:

I first thought lighting as well but looking more closely, I think the toning has either been helped or continued on its own. There is a pink band around the rim that simply isn't there in the first picture. Also, the green toning on the right stops at the corn in the first but in the second the corn is half-green.  

If the toning is advancing that quickly, there might be reason for concern.

The perceived difference in color between the two images can be excused by a number of factors. Could be different cameras, different internal camera settings, white balance difference, lighting along with placement of lights in respect to the coin, etc.

When you start to worry is when you see two photographs of the same coin where none of the above excuses apply.

The two photos below of the same coin were taken by different camera. Not only is the color completely different on each, but the grade is substantially different.

Earliest photo - PR65RB

1914medtrueview.jpg

Later photo - PR67BN

1914PR67BNmed.jpg

6 minutes ago, robec1347 said:

Are you saying they don't look like the same coin?

I can tell that they are the same coin by the splotchy pattern on the reverse, but no, they don't look like the same coin at all. 

I sort of like the earlier look even though the original grade was 2 points lower. The bluish photo was taken by me, so the color is probably a little off, but not that much. This photo was taken by the same person who took the red one.

1914blue67bn.jpg

Bob, I've seen enough of your photos to know they aren't off by that much! I've also seen enough of the PCGS' heavily edited glamour Playboy shots to know they are imaginative fantasies (which also tend really heavily to the red side of the spectrum). I'm guessing the coin probably looks somewhere between your shot and the 3rd shot.