• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1960 D Lincoln Large Date

6 posts in this topic

Good Day! 

Found this Lincoln in a mint set and thought I saw things with date and mint mark that the graders did not. Attached you will find photos I took as well as the NGC obverse photo. There is mechanical doubling, but looked as tho something else with date and mintmark. Curious if my eyes were just playing "hopeful" tricks on me or if others see anything out of the ordinary. I sent in for variety service, and do understand that all varieties are not eligible. Was deemed not a variety. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

Slabbed penny.jpg

Good pictures - but your eyes are playing tricks. I do not see any hub doubling. But I do see some machine doubling and some die deterioration doubling (both of these effects are common, and many people mistake them for true hub doubling). 

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Good pictures - but your eyes are playing tricks. I do not see any hub doubling. But I do see some machine doubling and some die deterioration doubling (both of these effects are common, and many people mistake them for true hub doubling). 

Very True... and if you want to see some really wacky Die Polishing, keep looking at 1960-D Large Date pennies

There are a number of nice/interesting RPMs and DDOs known for 1960-D cents. This does not appear to be one of them, but it does have die erosion doubling or possibly machine doubling damage.

Here are a couple 1960-D varieties:

1960-D DDO-101 (RPM & DDO)

1960-D CONECA DDO-004

1960Do16.6Aa.jpg

1960Do16.7A2.jpg