• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Rare Coin Locked Away.

6 posts in this topic

The sight of another bad Chinese mint 1804 dollar got me thinking about there are still lost treasures out there hidden away in a bank box of a gun safe that have not found themselves in a slab or  their presence widely known. Maybe not necessarily an 1804 silver dollar or of that caliber but still there are those out there.

I would suggest keeping any names, address, etc a mystery (If you know a friend with an 1804 silver dollar hidden away I don't think he or she would like it if you spelt the beans on a coin forum) but if anybody has any stories they would like to share please do.

Yes treasure still await.  Just recently a family brought forth two unknown MS copper 1943 cents, NGC just certified seven new glass experimental cents (until just a little over a year ago only one broken one was known. Then an intact one showed up. Now there are 8 intact and two broken ones.)  It wasn't that long ago the fourth 1853 O no arrows and rays half dollar turned up.  There have been many extremely rare coins discovered during my lifetime.  I still think that somewhere out there there is an 1870 S quarter waiting to be discovered.

RE: " NGC just certified seven new glass experimental cents (until just a little over a year ago only one broken one was known. Then an intact one showed up. Now there are 8 intact and two broken ones.)"

A few errors in the above. Only two glass experimental pieces are known. One intact piece (sold at FUN show last Jan.) and one broken piece (in ANA Denver auction) were, and still are, the only ones. The items NGC authenticated are no less interesting and important for what they are. Read the descriptions carefully.

The BRGC tokens are extremely rare - there are only a handful of glass business tokens recorded anywhere.

on the other side of the Collecting Spectrum: the Massachusetts Cent 1787 R.4-J PCGS MS64 and the then Unique 1739 Higley 3.1-D turned-up the same year in a little New England coin shop (as did a California Gold Token BG-1103 struck over a BG-1102)

I've taken a look at the glass pieces NGC certified and I think I see what you mean.  None of them appear to be finished pieces and some almost look to be pressed on scrap glass globs.