• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dassier Medals

9 posts in this topic

This isn't about coins, but I don't see a more suitable forum. I've picked up a few Dassier medals representing the kings and queens of England. I've read enough on the internet to know that the set was completed in 1731 and presented to George II, then reproduced and sold widely. I also read that these were recast or restruck by Thomasson (sp?) around 1820. Can anyone expand on or correct this, and can one tell the difference from the originals and the ones produced after Dassier's death? Many thanks. Oh, and these are beautiful medals. I bought them as companions to coins issued by the same monarchs. The portraits are very similar. 

Sorry Lincoln Man, I am aware of them but dont know anything about them. However there are dealers in the UK and US such as Hedley Betts that have a bunch of them.

You might want to start with the owner of the below site:

http://www.historicalartmedals.com/MEDAL WEB ENTRIES/THUMBNAILS/SWISS-DASSIER-KINGS AND QUEENS/brand new thumbnails.htm

They have a bunch of different ones pictured. I have recently gotten in to medals that compliment my coin collection also. 

Here is one of my better Dassier medals, recently acquired. Part of a 1731 set offered to the public, after being presented to George II. This medal has been damascened, said to be rare as an expensive option. Quite the looker.s-l500.jpg.02f18366c91be5bdaacd4e8fd95df91e.jpg