• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MMMS 1998-P Proof

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I am new to this forum and relatively new to collecting Silver Eagles, so please forgive my terminology errors.

I just obtained a "1998-P Silver Eagle Deep Cameo PF-70" from an estate sale via eBay. It is in a slab and graded by MMNS. I cannot find any website for MMNS as I do not think they exist anymore.

It looks mostly OK, there may be some toning on the reverse (tails) from about 4 o'clock to 11 o'clock in the legend field (not real sure). Any suggestions on what my next action should be? I thought about having it regraded by NGC, or is leaving alone best? Also any idea of value without seeing it?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing this is the item:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEM-PROOF-1998-P-AMERICAN-SILVER-EAGLE-VERY-NICE-/192215269517?hash=item2cc0ec408d%3Ag%3AfxAAAOSwXetZPrI6&nma=true&si=MFoMzNGRhPEBFDxlOJctpoRddLo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Regardless, that is not a recognized grading company and the assigned grade is meaningless. Treat the coin as if it were uncertified - roughy $25 to $30. It would likely be a waste of money to have it graded elsewhere, as the fees would probably exceed the value of the coin. Enjoy it as is or return it.

MMMS (Michigan Master something Service) moved to Florida but kept the M, now out of business.

They have the distinction in my slab collection of being one of the few basement slabbers (i.e. no reputation) to UNDER grade a coin.

Thanks for the info Burton. I took a chance. It's nice, but doesn't fit my individual Intercept slab holders. I don't have much invested in it, so I like it for what it is. :banana: