• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1863 Seated Dollar - Is it real?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have bought this coin at a local store and I would like to hear your opinions on whether it is real or not. The weight and sound seem okay and also using a magnet did not not leading to any strange observation. 

I took the photos without any daylight, actually the colors on the coin are much lighter. Does any of you see signs that this could be a fake one?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

BT

20170516235744_IMG_1062.JPG

20170516235758_IMG_1063.JPG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Definitely a fake. The date is of the wrong style and too small. These are just the most obvious problems.

Here's a link to the real thing, albeit a proof: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/seated-liberty-dollars-1840-1873-pscid-47/1863-s1-pf-coinid-17006

Counterfeit. Take it back to the seller and demand a refund. Title cannot pass on a counterfeit.

Of course, our illustrious ANA could be actively pursuing perpetrators/sellers of counterfeits. But possibly they are too busy banking hefty auction fees to do anything to support collectors and rid the hobby and consumers of this trash.  :)

As others have already stated, not even close to real. 

Return it for a refund as soon as possible. In the future, only buy certified coins until you are knowledgeable about what you are buying. 

The weight is probably close because many of these Chinese counterfeits are struck on silver planchets. This appears to be an early model and would not deceive a knowledgeable collector - but newer counterfeits can actually be quite deceptive. 

10 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

As others have already stated, not even close to real. 

Return it for a refund as soon as possible. In the future, only buy certified coins until you are knowledgeable about what you are buying. 

The weight is probably close because many of these Chinese counterfeits are struck on silver planchets. This appears to be an early model and would not deceive a knowledgeable collector - but newer counterfeits can actually be quite deceptive. 

I agree with the above. However, there are also counterfeit cons in counterfeit holders, as well. So only buy from knowledgeable sellers who have solid reputations. 

A local dealer had a customer come in with a "proof" 1895 that he paid thousands for at a flea market, cleaning out his checking account; turns out it was fake.  It can be hard to find the scammer who is responsible for a fraud.