• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any one else having trouble with Photobucket?

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

All I see are X's where my images should be.  anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Lee

I'm glad that the new NGC software lets me just load up from my samsung note now. I copied all my pics I wanted from photobucket. I hated all the popup ads that it started getting. I haven't uploaded to photobucket in probably a year now. 

Gave up on Photobucket. Too slow and too much junk. Might be nice for users of toy 'phones.

Photobucket is buried in garbage these days.  I still have several hundred images hosted there, but for new content, I tend to use CollectiveCoin or the gallery feature on CoinTalk.

I guess there's a gallery here, too (this is my first visit in a while and I see the site has changed, just like it did ATS), For various reasons, I use CT the most these days.  

I gave up using the bucket. It never runs fast anymore. It's going to crash one of these days. I downloaded a copy of everything i have there.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have a paid account so I'll look into other places to move my images.

Photobucket is making a huge change.  If you want to use them as a hosting site to link to forums (ahem) then you will have to pay a rather large amount.  

Supposedly a free account will still be there...you will still be inundated with ads (I counted 6 just trying to read the new TOS, including the kind that hide the whole page and you have to click somewhere to close and hopefully it won't be a spot taking you to an outside link...).  

Anyone you share a link with to a photo or album will see the ads.  Your pictures have been downgraded and anything hi resolution you thought was backed up there, well isn't apparently (and no fixing that one).  AND if you want to link pictures to forums it will only cost you around $300/year.

Oh, and little to no warning was given and I suppose if all that was doing was breaking a few links in posts, well that sucks.  Some people however were using some them for more important things than mere social postings and are having to pay just to keep things functional while they work it out.  I'm just thankful nothing I ever loaded there was unique or not from my computer already. 

6 hours ago, Zebo said:

I stopped using photobucket a while back.

Me too for coins...but there are a lot of old links out there.  For my non-coin related things (rare, but there are a few things) I don't really have a back up plan.  My current primary host is coin-centric.

I haven't really used photobucket much lately anymore, either. The website has been janky for years. Way too many ads, and half the time it doesn't even load properly. I liked the idea of it, but the website broke. 

I really need to look into this collectivecoin thing, now that its future is secure. 

I would politely suggest you not rely on CollectiveCoin as the one and only repository for your images. SB are the same folks who bought TT, ran it, shut it down and lost the image archives.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:20 PM, bstrauss3 said:

I would politely suggest you not rely on CollectiveCoin as the one and only repository for your images. SB are the same folks who bought TT, ran it, shut it down and lost the image archives.

That is the single and significant reason that I have not yet moved to CC. Anything I put on a hosting service is also backed up locally though, because I don't trust the so-called cloud. 

12 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

That is the single and significant reason that I have not yet moved to CC. Anything I put on a hosting service is also backed up locally though, because I don't trust the so-called cloud. 

Even if you pay for the service, it's no guarantee. Cubby (a paid service which was bought by LogMeIn that I switched to after the one before it shutdown) just shutdown that part of their offering (backup/multi-machine transfer with links for hosting).

There appears to be no good way to complete with the ubiquitous in-built (to the OS) Microsoft OneDrive and/or the huge reach of Google's GoogleDrive - with their 5GB or 15GB free and 1TB for $100/year model.

8 hours ago, bstrauss3 said:

Even if you pay for the service, it's no guarantee. Cubby (a paid service which was bought by LogMeIn that I switched to after the one before it shutdown) just shutdown that part of their offering (backup/multi-machine transfer with links for hosting).

There appears to be no good way to complete with the ubiquitous in-built (to the OS) Microsoft OneDrive and/or the huge reach of Google's GoogleDrive - with their 5GB or 15GB free and 1TB for $100/year model.

Does this work well for third party hosting?  Backing up I can do (have a mix of hard drive/cloud) BUT what I'm looking for is a simple host.  I'm probably going to get Imgur for those sites that need a third party (like for my dogs as collective coin frowns on being used for anything other than coins) and my cheapy website plan also does not want to function (by the TOS) as a third party host.  I can pull off a few, but not for anything organized.

Frankly the best solution may not be a free one, but somebodies cheap hosting offer.

This is pretty typical for the $1/month crowd

• 100 GB Storage

• 1 Website

• 1 Domain, free for the first 12 months (.com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .website, .club, .me)

SSL Certificate

You put up a garbage page (or a professional about me if you want) and use the 100GB to host images with https:// links and you use something like winscp (or Linux scp if that's your thing) to move images to the hosting site.