• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reason for the new certification verification requirements?

5 posts in this topic

Now you need to enter both certification number of coins as well as PMG certified notes together with the grade.  I inquired about this last week and was told so that we could all be nice and safe and secure and sleep well at night.  Can someone explain to me the advantages of this new verification requirement?

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/

https://www.pmgnotes.com/certlookup/

The only one I can see is privacy. Previously, when once you had the invoice number, you could type in every consecutive number, 123456789-001, -002, -003 etc., and find out what someone got in their entire submission. Now you have to know the info upfront. This makes the feature more of the verification function it was intended to be, rather than a fishing experiment. It also limits access to parties trying to find slab numbers to fake.

6 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

The only one I can see is privacy. Previously, when once you had the invoice number, you could type in every consecutive number, 123456789-001, -002, -003 etc., and find out what someone got in their entire submission. Now you have to know the info upfront. This makes the feature more of the verification function it was intended to be, rather than a fishing experiment. It also limits access to parties trying to find slab numbers to fake.

This is exactly right on the money. I've done this many times. And I say anything that can be done to protect the authenticity of our certified coins is a good thing.

. It also limits access to parties trying to find slab numbers to fake.

Not too much o a limit when you can jst go to Heritage search for a coin and get a whole bunch of certificate numbers.  Which is pretty much how the counterfeiters have been doing it for years.

I've never understood excessive secrecy, privacy or confidentiality.  It raised the question of why PCGS, ANACS or ICG have not instituted such changes as well as the PCGS certifications on an invoice are sequential.  I seriously doubt there are any real problems with competitors or others retrieving invoice information which is limited to coins and grades.  And to make such changes without press releases is not good business practice.  Any significant business change should be preceded by a back and forth pro vs. con argument with real rigor, not lame justifications based on "safety".  Also it would be nice to have business statements on how the NGC related companies are doing in gross/net financials as PCGS releases.