• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 penny

4 posts in this topic

I was watching YouTube and just found out that the 1983 penny is worth a lot of money.  I have 2 of them and was hoping i could be directed where i can go to sell them. Can someone please help point me in the right direction to the steps required to move forward with this.  Thank you 

It's the Doubled Die Reverse (DDR) that is worth the money.  By definition it is moderately rare, hence the value.  MOST 1983 cents are pretty much just pocket change.  Here is a picture of what to look for on your cent.  If it's not there on the reverse of the coin, you're out of luck.

3054_37655189_2200.jpg

They are also valuable (even moreso than the doubled die reverse) if they are made of 95% copper instead of the normal copper plated zinc.  Weight is the key identifying feature here, they should be close to 3.1 grams.  The plated zinc are only 2.5 grams.

If they aren't the doubled die or the copper version then they are most likely worth one cent.