• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1801 inaugural medal what do you think..

18 posts in this topic

Our resident BillJones will be able to comment on this particular medallion. It might take some time so do not get discouraged.

2 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Our resident BillJones will be able to comment on this particular medallion. It might take some time so do not get discouraged.

Ok thank you I also have several other tokens , medals an the like I do believe Im also in possession of the only extremely elusive as my grandmother labeled it 1910 matte proof VDB CENT the one an only

I would LOVE to have an example of this medal, but the scratches on the left side of the reverse would bug me. Overall I think that are about a dozen of these pieces known in silver, and maybe four or five others in white metal.

The fields have also been rubbed to remove tarnish. Overall it's a shame that someone who didn't know how to preserve it, messed with it. This is not the worst example I have ever seen,. however.

Is this piece available for sale, or is the poster mostly interested in information?

Does anyone think this medal would be a good example to hire an experienced engraver to tool out those scratches?  It is such a shame that it has been defaced like that.  I would consider it more restoration than any kind of deception.

Having the surfaces smoothed is about the same scratching it up in the first place. Nothing can restore the surfaces that were created by the diewhen it was struck. It is better to leave it alone.

Yes it available for sale Billjones it is 1 of 13 I do believe in silver. Scarce, It is triple struck on the obverse side and I believe struck twice on the reverse side. Its been in the family for as long as my grandmother could remember supposably it was giving to Jefferson's daughter Martha's husband who here in turn gave it to his mother I believe that's how the story goes. Wooden Jefferson yes then 1910 VDB does need more investigating it has multiple minting errors By what I can see it is DDO/DDR, Liberty is covered in Cud there is a mintng mark I do believe on the reverse side over a wheatstalk, if there is a minting Mark that takes otakes out the idea of it being a matte proof, that's just how my grandmother had it labeled. I think if you look past the 1910 date you see a faint outline of what I think is 1909 but I'm not sure. It does have and contain all of the Diagnostics that a 1910 Matte proof Cent should have down to the T. I will post pictures later on this evening when I get home.

0308170222b.thumb.jpg.bce016e491bb97f033837a012cf01a3c.jpg0308170223.thumb.jpg.ebcf28c6a7705898a2152bf2e7be7cd3.jpgScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-37-31.png.ccdafade58c0ac5cd0e832555db3c6ed.pngScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-37-08.png.6165a3ef08247c01f916e8f4dd74d20c.pngScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-36-55.png.de77d2d56ee0583c9c0157c11961a804.pngScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-35-23.png.8cc26bcbd8d7133bea3d88df9defb3b1.pngdifferent lightingScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-30-16.png.3bdf48a569f25999dd47f1126847a560.pngScreenshot_2017-03-08-02-29-04.png.6588a45fe422ee54a6eb63bb3e6c2abc.pngagain different lighting 0308170209a-1-1.thumb.jpg.e418b6ad7ad0b32667fe07bf6d434a12.jpghere a few pictures I really need opinions they were taken under different li lighting sources and at different angles I don't have an actual camera I use my phone camera so they are not the best I'm having a hard time with this one those pictures are not under any magnification let me know what you guys think thanks

That's a pretty rough looking 1910 cent. I do not see how you could even begin to find the diagnostics for it to be a matte proof, much less a VDB. Offhand, I think it's just a beat up business struck coin meant for circulation.

So,  what is your asking price for the 1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal?

My question is ... why are the photos of the 1910 cent so amateur but the photos of the 1801 medal so professional-looking?  They had to have been taken by different people.  The medal photos remind me of a professional auction house.  hm

EXOJUNKIE your assumptions are as I am not a professional photographer the 1910 are horrible picpictures, I can't even cLiam to be a amateur photographer lot. Although as horrible as that specimen may look in hand its not that ugly or horrible looking. My Jefferson specimen was like you stated "professional auction house" taken that's because its in SBowers March rairites auction in Baltimore I simply wanted peoIples opinion on it because im torn from buying back myself. Jefferson once held that Medal an so be it has also been in my family along time. Ive became the owner of load of error coins, rairites an the like upon my grandmothers passing. She never had any slabbed or anything but collected an searched my whole 35 years and im just trying to figure all out what she had, what's worth keeping, and etc. Some of my ?'s may seem noobish, as I am here and some what am in life,  2 yrs collecting now. Any an all help is greatly appreciated that's why im here. If I were to depend on people out here in society I wouldn't even be a collector at all an see why more peoplE are not into collecting and or saving/ preserving our American history. Because since Ive started presonlly Ive been taken advantage of,lied too manipulated etc. by some of the biggest ones there are with that said again im here to learn an gain knowledge an not to pull wool over ones eyes. No harm meant I just have rairites that were dear to her and would like to learn all I can. Thanks again for any info or guidance. I have tones of ?'s an very crew helpful tips lol

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Rob1983 said:

Yes it available for sale Billjones it is 1 of 13 I do believe in silver. Scarce, It is triple struck on the obverse side and I believe struck twice on the reverse side.

I am a bit bewildered on the 1801 Thomas Jefferson Inugural Medal as you stated "1 of 13 I do believe in silver" yet you say it in your next response, quote "My Jefferson specimen was like you stated "professional auction house" taken that's because its in SBowers March rairites auction in Baltimore"

My question is this: If it is indeed in the Stacks Bowers auction, wouldn't they have identified it as silver or white metal as to alert the bidders?

Help me out here.

9 hours ago, Rob1983 said:

EXOJUNKIE your assumptions are as I am not a professional photographer the 1910 are horrible picpictures, I can't even cLiam to be a amateur photographer lot. Although as horrible as that specimen may look in hand its not that ugly or horrible looking. My Jefferson specimen was like you stated "professional auction house" taken that's because its in SBowers March rairites auction in Baltimore I simply wanted peoIples opinion on it because im torn from buying back myself. Jefferson once held that Medal an so be it has also been in my family along time. Ive became the owner of load of error coins, rairites an the like upon my grandmothers passing. She never had any slabbed or anything but collected an searched my whole 35 years and im just trying to figure all out what she had, what's worth keeping, and etc. Some of my ?'s may seem noobish, as I am here and some what am in life,  2 yrs collecting now. Any an all help is greatly appreciated that's why im here. If I were to depend on people out here in society I wouldn't even be a collector at all an see why more peoplE are not into collecting and or saving/ preserving our American history. Because since Ive started presonlly Ive been taken advantage of,lied too manipulated etc. by some of the biggest ones there are with that said again im here to learn an gain knowledge an not to pull wool over ones eyes. No harm meant I just have rairites that were dear to her and would like to learn all I can. Thanks again for any info or guidance. I have tones of ?'s an very crew helpful tips lol

section I was referring to, I do not know how to nest quotes, yet

WoodenJefferson I do believe they do sir! Page 38, lot 73 half page! 1801 Thomas Jefferson Inaugural  Medal! Julian PR-2 "SILVER" 811.6 grains. So again I asked "What do you think"  and yet you ? Me and what I said! Im here to learn an ask ?'s if you can't tell me what you think about it plz don't reply. I mean no disrespect intended sir but I promise you this if I myself make a statement you can guarantee its fact because I have nothing to prove to you nor any other person here or anywhere. Were here in this forum to learn or teach or help one another out at least I am! I see your very smart person by reading yoor post/comments, and with the few interactions we have had unlike you Im not that knowledgeable in coins/numatics yet but I plan to be 1 day, so I can help others. So sir unless you can help me with the coins my grandmother left me like a 69S DDO,58 DDO, or a the small date 82 D cent, Rairaties like those and like the fore mentioned Jefferson medal than plz don't ? Me. Thats what Im here for. Thank you. An i do believe weather in auction or from me to you either way the item is for sale. And i sent them the Jefferson were speaking about so until they sell it or I pull it from auction it is my meadal,correct? 

10 hours ago, Rob1983 said:

WoodenJefferson I do believe they do sir! Page 38, lot 73 half page! 1801 Thomas Jefferson Inaugural  Medal! Julian PR-2 "SILVER" 811.6 grains. So again I asked "What do you think"  and yet you ? Me and what I said! Im here to learn an ask ?'s if you can't tell me what you think about it plz don't reply. I mean no disrespect intended sir but I promise you this if I myself make a statement you can guarantee its fact because I have nothing to prove to you nor any other person here or anywhere. Were here in this forum to learn or teach or help one another out at least I am! I see your very smart person by reading yoor post/comments, and with the few interactions we have had unlike you Im not that knowledgeable in coins/numatics yet but I plan to be 1 day, so I can help others. So sir unless you can help me with the coins my grandmother left me like a 69S DDO,58 DDO, or a the small date 82 D cent, Rairaties like those and like the fore mentioned Jefferson medal than plz don't ? Me. Thats what Im here for. Thank you. An i do believe weather in auction or from me to you either way the item is for sale. And i sent them the Jefferson were speaking about so until they sell it or I pull it from auction it is my meadal,correct? 

Well I guess you told me!

Good luck.

I wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful sir nor was I trying to Tell you anything per say. Sorry if you took it that way. Thanks for the help with the email address you gave me 1 ? I can email him with ?'s regarding any coins in general rigght? Thanks again