• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Specimen 1967 Canadian Coins

8 posts in this topic

Exactly what are the 1967 Specimen coins from Canada? I submitted several prooflike Canadian coins from the 1960's and all came back as PL except the 1967 quarters that were graded as SPecimen.

From what I can see, Krause does not list a 1967 Specimem set or Proof set. There are 3 PL sets for this year which I assumed these were from.

Are these coins common with Cameos or Ultra Cameos?

Thanks Spiny. I've seen these sets in person and unless someone replaced the coins in it, they looked similar to the PL coins that come in the flat packs. I never saw any difference.

Do you know if there is difference in the strike between PL18B & PL18A (which I assume is the same set without the gold coin)?

Krause says there's a silver medal in PL18A. confused-smiley-013.gif I've never seen one, but I'd guess the six coins are the same as the other set. I can't even find the full sets listed in the Charlton, just the $20 gold. I really don't know what the typical quality of strike is like. None of the ones I saw on ebay stood out as being better than a prooflike. Where's shiroh when you need him?

I've seen the 1967 Specimen sets with medal. The case is white and red, plush velvet, with a dollar size medal with the Seal of Canada on one side and the Centeniial emblem on the other.

TRUTH

Krause says there's a silver medal in PL18A. confused-smiley-013.gif I've never seen one, but I'd guess the six coins are the same as the other set. I can't even find the full sets listed in the Charlton, just the $20 gold. I really don't know what the typical quality of strike is like. None of the ones I saw on ebay stood out as being better than a prooflike. Where's shiroh when you need him?

I'm wasting my time over on the PCGS site when you need me.

The silver medallion sets contain prooflikes (just like the pliofilm sets).

Charlton calls the $20 gold set coins "specimens", and they do seem to have a better strike. I've seen the $20 gold coins called "proof", though Haxby and Charlton both say the first true proofs weren't struck until Olympic coins came out in 1973.

Didn't the Canadian mint used Chrome plated harded steel dies to get the PL or polished appearance on their coins?

TRUTH

Didn't the Canadian mint used Chrome plated harded steel dies to get the PL or polished appearance on their coins?

TRUTH

The RCM started using chrome plated dies back in 1942 or 1943 on all its circulation coins, and it still uses them on circulation and collector coins. To see the difference, compare a 1939 or earlier silver dollar with a 1945 or later dollar.