• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading on Richmond Collection

18 posts in this topic

A collector I know is considering the purchase of a coin sight-unseen that carries the Richmond Collection provenience and they asked my opinion. It is certified by NGC. I'm wondering about the grading on this collection. Anyone have any insight into the grading of these coins? Are they known to be conservative / liberal / right on? Are there any general feelings on this among dealers?

I'm not saying I agree, but many people think that frequently large or important collections are sometimes graded slightly different than individually submitted coins. Since I haven't examined many coins from this collection, I can't say.

I think it covers the whole spectrum. I know that quite a few coins went up a grade after the auction. I also know that quite a few crossed over to PCGS. Conversely, I have seen a few that I thought were 'blah' for the grade.

One would really need to examine the coin and compare the quality to the price to determine if it's a good purchase. Sight unseen? I'd pass.

Thanks for the info!

I fully agree that sight unseen = pass, but that's not my call to make for this coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

Since you have no influence over the sign unseen aspect: Compare the price realized to other prices realized for the same coin, same grade. That will give you an idea of what the bidder and underbidder felt about the coin. Also, if it's a coin of any significance, check with a few dealers to see how they rated it at the sale.

I attended the first of the three Richmond Auctions (gold sale). I purchased seven lots. All lots seemed as if they were accurate or a little conservative graded. I feel as if the 1872 $2.5 VF 35 is really an XF 40, the 1886 $2.5 AU 53 is a 55 or 58. The other items seemed to be right on the money. Hope this helps.

I purchased (4) lots of the Barber coins from Richmond Sale III. Plus a couple cents from the latest Richmond sale. The coins graded MS63 to MS65. I would say that the grading is accurate for the lots that I purchased.

Thank you for the offer. After a little digging, I found the coin in the online catalog at DLRC. Based on the original picture and the picture I was shown, I can safely form an opinion on this coin. The difference between the pictures was eye opening to say the least.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Thank you for the offer. After a little digging, I found the coin in the online catalog at DLRC. Based on the original picture and the picture I was shown, I can safely form an opinion on this coin. The difference between the pictures was eye opening to say the least.

So was it a keeper?

So was it a keeper?

If I was the buyer, based on the original picture I would pass on the coin. That is what my opinion to the guy will be. It looks like a Bluesheet quality example to me, but priced too high.

The pictures in the Richmond catalogs left a lot to be desired in many cases.

But they showed the 3 big carbon spots on this coin pretty well. 27_laughing.gif

what coin was it that was in question? if you dont mind.

Since I'm not the buyer I don't feel comfortable saying that until he decides.

My experience was that most of the actual coins looked better than the pictures in the auction catalog. In some cases, I redid the scans when I received the coins. However, that may not be the case for all lots. Also, some of the earlier silver coins had carbon spots.

Greg, I inquired about the 1868 PR63 Cameo SL half. The photo made the coin walk on water except for a reeding mark. Upon inquiry, I discovered that there were many hairlines which did not show on the photo. Most coins were in the 63 range. I made a moderate bid on the above coin but was not going paying the high dollar bid which it finally sold for. So, it appears to me that most coins sold for a premium with no great values to be had. This translates to a poor after-market for these coins. JMHO from my experience.