• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to the Reno coin show.

11 posts in this topic

After a 10 year absence, I decided to venture over the Sierra Nevadas and make it to the Reno show. It's now held at the Elk's Lodge. Good location, free parking. There was a young lad standing out on Victoria Street waving a sign about the coin show. I arrived at 10:30 and stayed until 12:30. About 25 dealers, not much collector traffic. Some dealers were setting up at 12:00, a bit late. Fair variety of collector coins. A couple of dealers had nice commems and I bought a couple. Several local dealers set up. I had a very unusual experience that I haven't had in 15 years. I offered a couple of pretty toned inexpensive commems to one person set up. I expected a counter offer from my $75 asking price. He offered melt value. 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif I didn't know whether to laugh or smile. This was by far the stupidest counter offer I have ever had at a coin show in quite a while, but reminds me of many experiences collectors have told me about some coin buyers. I prayed for him as I drove home. On the way back, I stopped at a dealer's shop and picked up some nice Mexico and a few more commems. Overall, the show was very weak, dealers were kinda just hanging out. The Carson City mint had a nice display of recently unearthed cancelled dies. Hopefully, it will be better on Saturday.

TRUTH

He offered melt value. 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif I didn't know whether to laugh or smile. This was by far the stupidest counter offer I have ever had at a coin show in quite a while

TRUTH

I betcha that the melt value of his brain isn't even a whole number!

i bet the cancelled die exhibit was really cool i heard they found lots of these into the hundreds like in an old storage shed celler about a year or so ago

well with buyers it never ceases to amaze me

great show thread keep them coming

Michael,

From the information the exhibit person gave me, apparently, the old CC dies were cancelled with an 'X' by use of a chisel. The dies were supposed to be melted down after cancellation, but the blacksmith who was to do this, buried them instead. Something like over 100 dies were found and now the state museum is conserving them for display at the State museum at the CC mint. It's a really big deal. They had several freshly conserved dies on display as well as a corroded die, some pamphlets and information. Supposedly, many conserved dies will be on display at the upcoming Carson City coin show at the CC mint in September.

TRUTH

There was a young lad standing out on Victoria Street waving a sign about the coin show

That was me. I waved to you but you ignored me. hi.gifconfused.gif How dare you! mad.gif

jom

wow i would love to see those dies

and i hope they auction one or two just to raise money for a travelling exhibitm of these dies at some major coin shows around the country

wild truth

thanks for an excellent show report 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Michael, how much do you think those dies would bring in general. How much did that CC die bring a year or two back?

Thanks for mentioning that. I'm going to be working near there later this month. I'll have to go check it out. smile.gif

i tyink the REVERSE dies if they where auctioned and where clear and clean would bring 8k to 15k range depending on the die and what it looked like and the size and if it was one of a kind or can be positively identififed as to the date also if you can identify a die variety therefore dating it

i did not know any cancelled die was sold or not but i doknow thaT a cancelled morgan cc die pair is always struck onto a silver bar round and sold tickets to win as such as a door prize at a coin show in nevada yearly??

Geez, Truth! I was in Reno from April 27 - May 4 for the American Cuesports National Championships. If I had known you were going to be there, I might have been able to go with you.................well, er................that is...........if it would have been okay with you.

All in all, we had a good time there. The weather was really nice, but EZ said they had a snowstorm in Tonopah. My Mom and I were playing the slots 30 minutes before we left Circus Circus for the return trip to Florida. I was on a multi-line, multi-denominational video called "Wild Taxi". The max bet for 1c value is $2. I put a $20 in, played twice and hit Wild, Wild, 2X Wild, Wild, Wild for 100,550 credits ($1,005.50). Needless to say, I cashed out and went home.

Chris