• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Store Coins

26 posts in this topic

I am rather new to collecting, but have a collection to maintain that was in my family. I want to know the best way to store the coins. Is buying the 2"x2" or 1.5"x1.5" cardboard holders bought from Brent Krueger along with flat staples a good way to go?

I have some plastic holders from there also for the more expensive coins.

I want to take the necessary steps. The coins were well kept in a coin cabinet, but the coins were unprotected on jewelers trays, and I would like to put them in some type of holder so they can be examined safely.

BTW, I am new to this board, but am really impressed with the manners, knowledge and spirit of helpfulness exhibited here. I have a jaded view of the coin industry because I have seen how my relatives estate was low-balled. It was absolutely appalling.

I have some other general newbie questions to ask regarding inventorying, recording (electronic image) etc. to ask, but I will give everyone some time to relax between my questions.

Thanks for all the help. I think I have found a great new hobby.

Welcome to the boards and the hobby! I think you'll find that the majority of the people you'll meet in the hobby are good people, but you do have to watch out for the lowlifes. frustrated.gif

As for coin storage... I like the carboard 2x2s the best for long term storage of most coins. Like you mentioned, flatten the staples. I also remove any dust on them with a soft brush or cloth before I put a coin in them. If stored in a cool, dry enviroment, they'll be fine for years that way.

For the coins that I'm going to remove from the holder again soon, I like mylar flips. Avoid the soft flips that contain PVC, though. Even though they are more pliable and durable than the mylar flips, they have the potential to break down and cause a greenish film to form on your coins that could potentially damage them.

For some of my better coins I prefer the hard plastic Air-Tite holders. I even have a few that have been slabbed. gossip.gif

Welcome to the Board. You can store coins in 2x2" plastic snaplocks, Cointainers, Capital Plastics holders or mylar flips. I would not recommend the cardboard holders with staples for long term storage. The staples can cause discoloration problems with coins. Also, many coins have been scratched by staples in these holders. I also do not like the mylar flips for long term storage, because of the possibility of hairlines caused by dust or dirt that may get into the flips. All of these items are available through various dealers of coin supplies or at your local coin shop.

This is actually a very good question as it pertains to a central issue for all of us and that is how we protect our coins for future generations. I generally don't like putting coins in plastic 2x2 holders, even PVC-free plastic holders, as the coins can acquire minute hairlines over time when they shift in the holder. The cardboard 2x2 holders with mylar windows are excellent for long-term storage, provided you don't allow the staples to scratch the coin, nick the rim of the coin with the stapler or have the staples rust and corrode the coin. The best 2x2 holders with mylar windows are self-sealing and need no staples. My method of storing raw coins is to place each into an individual Kointain holder. These are relatively inexpensive but are tricky to work with until you get the hang of it. I then put the coin, in the Kointain, into a 2x2 holder for ease of storage. I find this system works well.

Welcome to the boards and please feel free to ask about anything you would like to know. Also, images of your coins would be great.

Yesterday I received a coin from an eBay seller that was in a folded golf score card!?!? foreheadslap.gif

For all coins and tokens I collect that aren't in a NGC, ANACS, or PCGS, holder I use "SAFLIP" 2x2 or 2 1/2x 2 1/2 size flips.

Isn't it mind-boggling when someone sends a coin in such a careless manner? I have had raw coins sent to me in standard business envelopes without any other protection! In those cases, I simply return the coin to the seller for a refund as I do not want a coin that has potentially picked up hairlines or other marks from someone who isn't thinking. frustrated.gif

I always thought the self-adhesive 2x2's were a bad thing. What if the adhesive contaminates the coins? I used them when I was a kid, but those coins all toned in a bad way.

I have seen coins (from my grandfather's collectoin) that were in stapled 2x2's for 60 years with no damage to the coin from the staples. I thought this was the way to go.

Are you sure that the adhesive in the self-adhesive 2x2's is not bad for the coins? Like I said, the coins in the stapled 2x2's were in good shape, but the ones in the self-adhesive 2x2's were not.

Also, there is the potential damage when you attempt to remove the coin. With staples, you just use a staple remover and open the container.

If I am way off base, let me know. I am a newbie in here too.

For coins worth $100 or more you might consider submitting to PCGS or NGC for grading. Once in the slab the coin is pretty much protected.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have put some of my pennies and dimes in the 1.5" x 1.5" because I can fit more of these in the plastic sleeves that I bought at a local coin dealer (I assume these are PVC-free, but maybe that is a wrong assumption.)

I would guess that there is no difference between the 1.5"x1.5" from the 2"x2", other than the staples will be closer to the coin (although on dollars the coins are even closer to the staples).

As for storage, if I store my coins along with small packets of a desiccant, wouldn't that prevent the staples from corrosion that may effect the coins?

This to me is an extremely important topic, since I have some coins of value and I sure would hate to make some decisions now that effect the value of these coins 20 years from now.

I do plan on joining either NGC or PCGS and get my coins over $100 rated at some point soon. Seems to me both are good and the decision on which to go with is a matter of personal preference (although I read the threads positive toward NGC and realize I got to these boards off of their site).

Thanks again to all.

This is actually a very good question as it pertains to a central issue for all of us and that is how we protect our coins for future generations. I generally don't like putting coins in plastic 2x2 holders, even PVC-free plastic holders, as the coins can acquire minute hairlines over time when they shift in the holder. The cardboard 2x2 holders with mylar windows are excellent for long-term storage, provided you don't allow the staples to scratch the coin, nick the rim of the coin with the stapler or have the staples rust and corrode the coin. The best 2x2 holders with mylar windows are self-sealing and need no staples. My method of storing raw coins is to place each into an individual Kointain holder. These are relatively inexpensive but are tricky to work with until you get the hang of it. I then put the coin, in the Kointain, into a 2x2 holder for ease of storage. I find this system works well.

--------------------

Tom

Questions about toning? Read the articles on my web site.

Ivy League Coin

Welcome Coppertop and Alixtcat hi.gif I just wanted to welcome you and say that you will love the generous and knowledgable help that is waiting here. It's a great place to learn and share with others the enjoyment of the hobby. thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

Welcome Coppertop and Alixcat.... I will echo wlat Mel said... The main reason when signing up for forums that I choose this one over the PCGS forum... even though I am registered... I don't post really... First off the wait time...(A day)... but one the main reasons... I felt I fit in better over here... one of the first threads I saw across the street was "I sold off my whole collection in order to buy a few coins" and it proceeded with stories of how people did it... I for one collect for my own enjoyment... I don't collect to make money... I hand pick my coins that I like.. So why would I want to sell them all after years of collecting? I just felt the atmosphere was better suited for me over here... I am one of the younger collectors on this forum and the help her has been great...

You bring up some good points, AlixTCat. thumbsup2.gif

In my experience, I have not yet seen the self-adhesive holders turn a coin, however, I have seen many coins harmed by the staple method. I would think that much of the danger of the staple method is due to carelessness or storage condition. Similarly, the adhesive method is likely to harm coins if not stored properly, either.

Thanks for the welcome to the group. I have been reading for about 4 months now, but hesitated to post until I had something pertinent to add or ask.

I see... So, it was probably the environment that caused the toning on the coins that I had used the self-adhesive 2x2's to store? That would make sense. I was young and probably handled the coins improperly partially causing the problem and then storing them in boxes for 10 years in a Florida Panhandle garage that caused the toning. I mistakenly chalked it up to the adhesive in the 2x2's.

Thanks for the great group experience here. I am glad I found you people.

I had some self-sealing holders several years ago. They were a pain to assemble, but I thought they would be better since I didn't have to worry about staple scratches. It didn't take too long before the adhesive got old and didn't stick very well any more. Coins don't just fall out of a stapled holder onto the floor like they do from some of the self-sealing ones. 893whatthe.gif

OK, I have one more coin storage question.

For now I plan on using the 2"x2" or 1.5"x1.5" cardboard folded holders using a flat stapler I picked up from Brent Krueger (it seems like every technique has potential problems).

I would like to store them in the vinyl 3-ring folder pages that hold 20 of the 2"x2" holders or 30 of the 1.5"x1.5" holders. I then plan on using a desiccant to keep the moisture out of where I store the coins to prevent any staple corosion from occuring.

My question has to do with the vinyl pages that hold the coins and fit in the 3-ring binder. Is there any possibility that these pages can contain PVC or any other harmful substance that will hurt the coins.

I notice that most coin dealers use these vinyl pages to display many of their coins.

I've gotten this far, I would hate to do something stupid that would diminish the value of my coins.

Thanks again for the help.

<"PVC stands for polyvinylchloride, so I would think that most vinyl pages would contain PVC. ">

I am not sure whether you are correct or not. Simply because one of the letters in the three letter acronym for PVC is vinyl does not necessarily mean that PVC is present in these holders.

But I find it interesting that most coin dealers not only sell the vinyl coin pages I am referring to, but they also store many of their coins in them. So either they are safe and don't contain PVC, or these dealers are selling us a bad product and not being good stewards of their coins.

It would be nice to have one of the NGC experts weigh in here. These pages are convenient, but they need to be 100% safe.

Vinyl is a plastisol additive and as such is used to manufacture PVC. The commonly used commercial name for PVC is Vinyl.

I think I may have found the answer from a coin supply website. Looks like TomB is correct:

"Note: We highly recommend you do not insert items in vinyl pages without "safe" holders. Vinyl pages are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which decomposes over a long period of time. Mylar, acetate flips and our currency envelopes do not contain PVC. We recommended you insert your items into these holders before you put them into vinyl pages. "

To be safe, I think I will be disposing of all of these vinyl pages and keeping my 2"x2" holders in boxes.

Does anyone know how long a coin needs to be stored in vinyl before it breaks down into PVC? What are the signs of PVC damage on coins? What should be done if coins have been stored for a while in vinyl?

Thanks.

I've always heard that it was the softener in the PVC that leached out onto the coins and did the damage, not the PVC itself. That is why the safe flips are more brittle than the standard soft ones.

I've kept coins in the vinyl pages inside 2x2's with no adverse effects. I do think there is potential for harm and it would be better not to use those pages. I bought some similar pages from a photo supply shop that are archival quality made for holding slides. They will also hold the 2x2 stapled coin holders.

For my raw coins I put the more expensive ones in the 2x2 intercept shield holders and store them in an intercept shield box made for them. I also have some that I put in kointains, then in a safe flip and then into a page or a box for storage.

Unfortunately, self adhesive 2x2s should be avoided despite their ease of use. It is a different kind of plastic than stapled 2x2s, that apparently harms the coins in the long run.I'm not sure if it contains PVC, but I've stopped using them at least for long term storage.

I received one wrapped in tissue and taped to the paypal invoice and mailed in a 10 cent envelope. And paid 2.95 for shipping as well.

Hey, his time to place it in the envelope and address it and buy a stamp for it, not to mention his trouble to put it on eBay for you is worth something (probably means more to him than it should). laugh.gif

I had a dealer claim that after charging almost $9 for shipping and using only 2 stamps. I had no way to know it was a "dealer" when I bid but I sure never bid on auctions without shipping rates and method spelled out after that one. Had all kinds of problems with that auction and never did get what I bid on but finally got something of similar value and a refund of my 2nd check payment (hint) when I provided check copies. frustrated.gif

The Plasticizer (softener) in PVC is usually Zinc Stearate. Since zinc is an alloy in cents, I do not think that the stearate is the problem short term. The problem is the chlorine gas ions that leach out of the plastic and form hydrochloric acid. This acid attacks copper and in the presence of humidity forms Verdigris (Cu(OH)2+H2O) on the surface of the coin. You chemistry guys correct me if I'm wrong!