• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned peace dollar comparison

13 posts in this topic

Nick, reverse images might help, but in their absence...

The 1924 looks unattractive, but original. On the other hand, the 1926 makes me wonder about, if not doubt the color being natural. So to my eyes, the coins aren't similar enough for me to expect the results would necessarily be the same.

Thanks for the reply Mark. The reverse of both have no toning. Im in line with your thinking. The 26 looks unnatural to me and I'm surprised to see NGC graded it MS62, in the current holder NGC uses so it's been graded recently. Of course they have seen it in hand. It makes me think the 24 may straight grade at NGC which prior to seeing the 26 I would have never guessed that. PCGS maybe but not NGC.

Huh, I apparently have a different opinion than Mark. While I also find them both unattractive, the 1924 looks artificial. The 1926 looks more in line with natural toning I've seen.

On the 1924, the rust colored splotches in front of her face are suspicious. The blue splotches above her head look more like something was spilled there. And the spottiness on her cheek and neck are immediate red flags for me.

The 1926 looks dark, but the toning appears much smoother and more gradual. Yes, there are still spots, but they have a different character, in my opinion.

I suspect both coins were dipped, but incompletely rinsed and stabilized. Hence the ugly splotches on both. It seems a "stretch" to call either "toned."

I suspect both coins were dipped, but incompletely rinsed and stabilized. Hence the ugly splotches on both. It seems a "stretch" to call either "toned."

Concur

mark

Huh, I apparently have a different opinion than Mark. While I also find them both unattractive, the 1924 looks artificial. The 1926 looks more in line with natural toning I've seen.

On the 1924, the rust colored splotches in front of her face are suspicious. The blue splotches above her head look more like something was spilled there. And the spottiness on her cheek and neck are immediate red flags for me.

The 1926 looks dark, but the toning appears much smoother and more gradual. Yes, there are still spots, but they have a different character, in my opinion.

Im always trying to learn anything new regarding toned peace dollars and the way the tpg's determine market acceptability. Jason do the spots on this coin raise red flags? To me they look similar to the '24 in my original post, If you disagree what do you see different about them? I appreciate the input from all.

This is straight graded by PCGS MS62

image_zpsd207gjnp.jpeg

Neither is attractive, regardless of the origin of their toning.
+1

Yep. I think calling either "market acceptable" would only be a technicality indicating their ability to get into a straight-graded holder. Once in such a holder, the market will penalize the negative eye-appeal of the toning in a manner indicative of "market non-acceptance," and the coin will trade at a heavy discount.