• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Journal 21 Dec 2016 posted by ilLOminatus

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The mints of the world and their silver 1 oz coins

My main coin collecting theme is world modern 1 oz ASW coins, which arguably was started by the US Mint 1986 Silver Eagle, followed by the Perth Mint, RCM, RAM, China Mint, Russia Mint, Pobjoy Mint, etc. soon after. Older series like the Mexican Onza existed before but those coins were of inferior strikes which they then transformed to the Libertad series.

After the success of these major bullion programs, private mints and smaller nations followed suit, with the explosive result of designs and issues of which can be seen today.

I started in the year 2000, a good year to start as silver 1 oz coins minted before 2000 were relatively bullion issues and most people treated them as such. With the exception of a few key dates the coins were aplenty and easy to collect with reasonable prices (back then silver was only around US$ 5 / oz!). As the year moved forward, the music changed from bullion to commemoratives, which was good in that it gave many more interesting coins and designs but bad in that you have to spend more to collect them all! Surprisingly no one came out with Pokemon silver coins yet although I won't be surprised if they come out in a year or two.

Until the next journal!

See more journals by ilLOminatus

Welcome, ilLOminatus!

We need more new journalers here. Thanks for sharing your interest in bullion coins. I know it's an area that's very popular with many NGC collectors, although I much prefer older coins with lots of history to them.

~jack

Hi Jgenn,

I would LOVE to collect those older coins but I like shiny coins and those will cost a lot with the older coins :) I have a type collection of just one each of the older coins like Morgan, Peace dollar, British trade dollar, Indochina piastre, British strait settlements, Netherland 2.5 Guldens, Chinese Dragon dollars, Japanese Meiji Yen, Mexican 8 reales etc

Cheers!