• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Schechter, NGC Director of Marketing

24 posts in this topic

Is this true, Scott will be joining NGC as the Director of Marketing? If so, that's great for both Scott & NGC. Scott has always been very personable to speak with and a pleasure to deal with.

Suggestion, first thing on Scott's agenda: Start giving out NGC slab boxes with all returned submissions so that PCGS doesn't have tons of cheap advertising all over the bourse floors.

I have dealt with Scott on a couple of occasions at Pinnacle.

He will be a great asset to NGC and I am sure a welcome addition to the staff.

-------------

etexmike

From a post Scott made on the forums of his competitor: In June, I will assume the role of Director of Marketing at NGC. This is a new position, and principally I will be working directly with collectors and dealers on the Collectors’ Society and its various components including the Registry and Message Boards. I was first approached by NGC in January, and I have been overwhelmed by the amazing plans underway there as well as their earnest effort to improve the hobby and the numismatic community. It is this attitude, very similar to Pinnacle’s, that especially attracted me to NGC. I know that we will be able to better the industry and the collector experience.

It sounds like Scott will be a great addition to the team.

I don't know about the boxes, though. I'd rather see "Bogof" submissions, ad infinitum. For CS Members only, of course! thumbsup2.gif

Chris

hi.gifScott

I don't know about the boxes, though. I'd rather see "Bogof" submissions, ad infinitum. For CS Members only, of course! thumbsup2.gif

Bogof? confused.gif

Bogof? confused.gif

I thought you guys knew all of the acronyms.

Buy one get one free!

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Chris

Perhaps he could provide some answers to the lopsided numbers I posted in this thread? It's had 64 readers with zero on responses! But then again he might find himself scratching his head like the rest of us! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Start giving out NGC slab boxes with all returned submissions so that PCGS doesn't have tons of cheap advertising all over the bourse floors.

Only if they don't have to raise submission prices 893whatthe.gif

Also fi so they need to figure out a way to make sure the slabs don't hit against the plastic.I don't want my brand new holders coming back all banged up from hiting the plastic of the boxes frustrated.gif

Leo: It also could be that PCGS undergrades nickels as many have suggested on this site. Or it could be a little bit of overgrading by NGC. Without taking about a number of raw coins and submitting the same coins to both services multiple times and submitting them to independent graders in order to gain a reasonable % level of confidence, it is impossible to tell which scenario is true.

I have been shipping slabs around in PCGS and NGC boxes for the past (5) years. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen any damage caused to the slab by shipping in boxes. The slots are tapered and do not hit the front surface of the slab or each other, in either box type.

I posted this under the certified registry section yesterday, but it is probably more appropriate here. I am relatively new to the boards and will eventually figure out where it is best to post by topic......

By now it is common knowledge that Scott will be leaving his current job at Pinnacle to become Marketing Director at NGC. Scott has been my customer rep at Pinnacle for the past 2 years and I have found him to be knowledgeable, honest and professional when either buying or selling coins. He has certainly helped enhance my understanding of the numismatic market place. Although I will miss him on the other end of the phone at Pinnacle, I look forward to seeing the fruits of his labor with the NGC registry and message boards. Good Luck Scott !

KEN

• Administrator

Thanks for the welcome. It has been only two weeks, Greg, but it sure feels like over a month! For a coin lover, NGC offers an amazing work enviroment. There is so much going on, with new things happening all the time. That said, I'm not settled in...I haven't even had time to unpack.

On the positive side, I'm having a lot of fun. Some really great things are in progress for the Collectors' Society community. I am proud to join Dena, Architect, and many others to develop this great collector resource.

Also, one of my main goals is to share some of excitement and experience of the grading room with the Collectors' Society. There's some forthcoming news, in the works for the NGC website next week, that I honestly think is one of the most exciting coin stories to break in years. I won't say anthing yet, but it's great news for the hobby.

Sorry guys, the news is already out. Check the PCGS forums. confused.gif

Where abouts?

Across the street. foreheadslap.gif

TRUTH

You, my friend, are no help at all. frustrated.gif

Sorry guys, the news is already out. Check the PCGS forums. confused.gif

Where abouts?

Across the street. foreheadslap.gif

TRUTH

You, my friend, are no help at all. frustrated.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

TRUTH

• Administrator

Just as a quick follow up to my last post...and as fun as it was to keep JamminJ in suspense smile.gif, the word is out - a new pattern Sacagawea dollar has been found. This is one of the greatest coin stories to come out in a while for a host of reasons...

1. There are 5,500 of them out there, and no one knows where they will turn up.

2. Modern patterns are in most cases impossibly scarce.

3. The coin is cool looking. If your not a Sac dollar fan, trust me, the feather detail is very neat.

5. It is an fascinating story that demystifies some aspects of the Mint's design process.

Here's a link to the article:

Pattern Sacagawea Article

And now let's please allow the "Scott Schechter, NGC Director of Marketing" post end, and start discussing this Sac till we're blue in the face!

Thanks again everyone for your warm welcome.

And Pat most certainly deserves the accolades for it has been a long time coming. Congratulations, Pat!

Chris