• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical Question for NGC regarding existing PCGS Coins in the Registry

8 posts in this topic

Regarding the decision by NGC to no longer allow new PCGS coin in the registry after the first of the year, what would happen to existing PCGS coins that are already in the registry in terms of a grade or designation change from the result of regrading? Examples I am thinking of would be an upgrade or downgrade with the numeric grade. Changes from a cameo to deep cameo or a strike designation such as Full Head or FB, FBL, etc? The coin is technically already there in the system. What is going to happen in these situations?

Regarding the decision by NGC to no longer allow new PCGS coin in the registry after the first of the year, what would happen to existing PCGS coins that are already in the registry in terms of a grade or designation change from the result of regrading? Examples I am thinking of would be an upgrade or downgrade with the numeric grade. Changes from a cameo to deep cameo or a strike designation such as Full Head or FB, FBL, etc? The coin is technically already there in the system. What is going to happen in these situations?

When a PCGS coin is regraded, it gets a new serial number. Thus, to the Registry, it is a new coin.

And thus, it will be verboten.

I imagine that in a year your question will be moot. NGC will probably eliminate all PCGS coins from their registry in a year or two. As I look at my sets they consist of 50% NGC coins and 50% PCGS coins. I consider my NGC registry sets soon to be obsolete. Do not count on NGC retaining the PCGS coins in their registry very long. If you do you will be disappointed.

Another question.

What happens if you change a picture or revise an "owner's comment?" Does the invalidate the coin?

I don't know this for a fact, but I am predicting that it probably would not invalidate the coin since it is already in the database. Note that once verified, PCGS coins do not need to be revalidated each time you edit a set entry or add the existing coin to a new set.

I imagine that in a year your question will be moot. NGC will probably eliminate all PCGS coins from their registry in a year or two. As I look at my sets they consist of 50% NGC coins and 50% PCGS coins. I consider my NGC registry sets soon to be obsolete. Do not count on NGC retaining the PCGS coins in their registry very long. If you do you will be disappointed.

I think your prediction will likely come to fruition. I wonder how many people will delete their sets come January 1 (or whatever deadline NGC has set for the new policy to take effect).