• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Literacy Quizes

23 posts in this topic

On the first one couldn't find test. 893whatthe.gif

Click on "start questions" to the right.

I missed 3 on the first one, 1 on the second one and 4 on the third one.

Test 1 - 11 of 13 - 85% I would have scored 12 but I hit a wrong button by mistake.

Test 2 - 20 of 20 - 100%

Test 3 - 15 of 15 - 100%

Chris

Thanks, EZ! It was fun. It reminded me of my Econ 101 professor, Mr Biggs, back in '66. I remember the first day in his class. He started calling out our names alphabetically, and when he got to mine he said, "Chris, don't expect an easy grade just because you were nice to Barbara (his daughter) when you dated her."

Professor Biggs had some strange ways of doing things. I remember that he used to throw candy to the students when they answered correctly during class discussions. His tests were usually very, very hard. If you didn't complete all of your reading assignments, you wouldn't fare too well. Of all the tests in all the classes I had taken through high school and college, I remember his mid-term exam to this day. It consisted of just one question. If you had completed the reading assignments and reviewed the reference materials related to those readings, you would have been directed to, yet, another reference material that gave you the answer. If you studied the way Professor Biggs expected you to study, you would finish the mid-term in 30 seconds. I wasn't the first to leave the class, but that was only because I sat furthest from the door.

Anyway, here is the question: "Who is Adam Mickiewicz and what is his contibution to his country's economy?"

Sorry, I don't have any candy to throw to you if you answer correctly.

Chris

Good story, Chris.

I remember my eight grade civics & economics instructor was Mr. Adair. Very likable but if one ever said the word "bull" then he assumed that one meant to imply the latter part and would make you write pages as punishment.

Here you go, Chris:

Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855)

Polish romantic poet and playwright, the leader of Polish Romanticism. Mickiewicz's best-known works include Forefathers' Eve, Grazyna, Konrad Wallenrod, and the long narrative poem Pan Tadeusz. Much of Mickiewicz's work was written in exile in Russia. After release he spent the rest of his life in Western Europe, where he became the spiritual leader of Polish emigrés.

"Litva! My country, like art thou to health,

For how to prize thee alone can tell

Who has lost thee. I behold thy beauty now

In full adornment, and I sing of it

Because I long for thee."

(from Pan Tadeusz)

Adam Mickiewicz was born in Zaosie, in the former grand duchy of Lithuania, into an impoverished noble family. He studied at the University of Vilno in the years 1815-1819 and in 1819-23 he was a teacher in Kaunas. His early interest in the French Enlightenment philosopher Voltaire soon changed into admiration of the two great Romantic writers, Schiller and Byron. In Vilno he took part in a semisecret group known as the Philomaths and Philarets. It protested Russian control of Poland and in 1823 Mickiewicz was arrested with many other Philomaths by the Russian police. He was jailed for several months and then exiled to Russia. Mickiewicz never saw his home again. He lived in Odessa, Moscow, and St. Petersburg. During this period he was befriended by many leading Russian writers, including Aleksandr Pushkin.

As a poet Mickwicz gained first attention with Balady i romanse (1822), which had on its background a disappointment in love. The book included ballads, romances, and a preface about western European literature. The collection opened the romantic era in Polish literature. It was followed by the fantastic drama Dziady (1823-32, Forefathers' Eve), in which Poland had a messanic role among the nations of westerns Europe.

The title of the play was taken from an ancient folk celebration in Belorussia, held on All Souls' Day, which honors the memory of the dead and were common in Lithuania during Mickiewicz's youth. The second part dealt with the theme of earthy suffering. It portrayed the ghosts of the ill-treated tenants, children who cannot reach heaven because they have not suffered on earth, and the virgin shepherdess who had experienced neither love nor grief. Part III depicted the martyrdom of Poland and presented a vision of the future country in which the sufferings are equated with the Passion of Christ. This vision concludes with a prophecy about a mysterious future savior of Poland, bearing the name "44." Part IV was a monodrama. The protagonist is the spirit of a young suicide victim, consumed with a passion that leads to insanity and death.

During his exile Mickiewicz wrote among others Konrad Wallenrod (1828), a philosophical poem, which inspired the Polish youth in the struggle against oppression. In the work a Lithuanian master in a Teutonic order undermines its activities. In 1825 he visited the Crimea and published his erotic Sonety krymskie (1826). Although Mickiewicz was inspired by the landscapes of the steppe, his Polish nationalism intensified. In his poetical works Mickiewicz expressed a romantic view of the soul and the mysteries of life, often employing folk themes. His approach was fresh and new - when writers had depicted with polished language the life of the educated classes, Mickiewicz used colloquial expressions and portrayed peasants.

In 1829 Mickiewich was permitted to leave Russia. He went to Bohemia, Germany, where he met Goethe, Switzerland, and Italy, where he met James Fenimore Cooper. The author had appealed to the American people to aid Poland during the rebel against Russia in 1830-1831. Mickiewicz tried to join the insurrection but the authorities stopped him in Prussian Poland. In Dresden he met refugees and used their hard fate as material in the third part of Dziady.

"Fair words and fairer thoughts are mine;

Much do I feel, writing early and late;

My soul like a widow's must still repine -

To whom my songs shall I dedicate?

To thoughts and words I give birth each day -

Why do they not my sorrow appease?

Because my soul is a widow gray

And only many orphans sees."

(from 'The Pilgrim's Song,' 1832)

Mickiewicz eventually settled in Paris. He served as professor of literature at the University of Lausanne (1839) and at the Collège de France (1840–44). Mickiewicz's academic career ended when he was accused of using his position for political activities. For a time in 1848 he edited the radical newspaper La Tribune des peuples. He also became the center of enthusiastic followers to his lectures, both Polish émigrés and French intellectuals.

Pan Tadeusz (1834) expressed Mickiewicz's nostalgia for his homeland. It is a humorous epic of the Polish gentry in the early 19th century and accounts of the feud between two noble families. Mickiewicz's work is regarded as a monument of Polish national literature. The masterpiece was born three year after Frédéric Chopin's famous 'Revolution Etude.' Chopin's ballads captured the same charm and fire typical for Mickiewicz's poems and his polonaises have been regarded in some respect as a national manifestation.

Soon after the publication of Pan Tadeusz Mickiewicz married Celina Szymanowska. The marriage was unhappy. The family lived on the brink of poverty and his wife suffered a nervous breakdown. Mickiewicz's espousal of the mystical and political doctrines of Andrzej Towianski (1799-1878) caused his dismissal from the college.

In the revolutionary upheavals of 1848 Mickiewicz's idealism renewed. He attempted unsuccessfully to enlist Polish regiments to help Garibaldi in the Italian struggle against Austria. At the outbreak of the Crimean War, Mickiewicz went to Turkey to raise Polish armies in Turkey. He died during a cholera epidemic in Constantinople on November 26, in 1885. His body was was first transported to Paris. In 1890 Mickiewicz's remains returned to Poland and were buried with the Polish kings in the national shrine in Crakow.

What? Are you telling me that out of 4,522 registered users on these boards there are only two of us who like quizzes? You must not like logic puzzles or the Sunday crossword puzzle in the London Times either! Yeah, I know your kind...............you're afraid of being labeled a......a...........a................ NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gifsign-offtopic.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gifshy.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gifdevil.gifangel.gifflowerred.gifnews.gifsleeping.gifboo.gifflamed.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gifjuggle.gifheadbang.giffrustrated.gifscrewy.gifbumpit.gifyay.giftakeit.gifpoke2.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifyeahok.gif

screwy.gifC screwy.gifH screwy.gifR screwy.gifI screwy.gifS screwy.gif

Sorry, Victor, but you only answered half of the question ...........50%..............F

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the correct answer, now. If you'll read my post that precedes this one, you'll find that I have chastised everyone on these boards for their lack of interest in your thread. I'm curious to see if anyone "steps forward" to show their mettle.

Chris devil.gif

I like taking these things when I have the time. I took all three and missed one question on each. I was a bit surprised at how clueless the general population can be on things, and not just economics. 893whatthe.gif

Duhhh....whuddya call somwum hoo taikz da test an dont notice dat dere is a SCROLL on da first one an tries ta anser it wit only THREE of FOUR ansers?

insane.gif

"Re:Pete" 27_laughing.gif

Chris

Ok I took the test.

Missed 1 on test 1

Got them all on test 2

Missed 1 on test 3

That is what I should have gotten since my background is finance and economics.

Like was said previously it is a travesty that the majority of people failed these tests. It really speaks volumes for our education and social systems. I would like to see the results of similiar tests taken by Japan, Britain, Germany, ect.

Way to go, Dave! thumbsup2.gif It's amazing how the brain works. You store something away for 40 years, never needing it, then hit the "search key" and, Bingo! There it is!

Chris

I aced all 3.... what do I win? wink.gif

The chance to have David Halls baby

Now all hail.gif David Hall

All hail.gif PCGS

all hail.gif David Hall

All hail.gif PCGS

all hail.gif David Hall

All hail.gif PCGS

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

By the way David I still want to have your baby hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I'm impressed with these scores! Ya know, you'all are a bunch of:

REAL FART SMELLERS!

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif er, um, I mean a bunch of:

REAL SMART FELLERS

grin.gifyay.gifgrin.gifyay.gifgrin.gifyay.gifgrin.gif

I'm impressed with these scores! Ya know, you'all are a bunch of:

REAL FART SMELLERS!

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif er, um, I mean a bunch of:

REAL SMART FELLERS

grin.gifyay.gifgrin.gifyay.gifgrin.gifyay.gifgrin.gif

EZ , I was beginning to think that everyone would have a welcomed "vacation" since I'm leaving for Reno tomorrow. It's heartening to know that someone is willing to step forward and fill my shoes while I am away. Therefore, by the power vested in me, I appoint you the OFFICIAL NGC COLLECTORS' SOCIETY CRAZY PERSON screwy.gif PRO TEM.

It shall be your responsibility to ensure that nobody falls asleep sleeping.gif in the middle of a post. bumpit.gif

If someone expresses an opinion that is right.......tell them they are wrong and vice versa. devil.gifpoke2.giffrustrated.gif

If someone wants to have David hail.gif Hall's baby 893naughty-thumb.gif................by all means, tell them to go across the street and stay there until it happens. news.gif

Never, never let any opportunity to have fun slip by without making an appropriate wisecrack. 27_laughing.gif

Congratulations, EZ! acclaim.gif I know you won't let me down. thumbsup2.gif

I know what you may be thinking, foreheadslap.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif but, I'm sorry, you must do this gratis. Christo_pull_hair.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

EOE 893applaud-thumb.gif