• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ideas for new Commemoratives

12 posts in this topic

I was just thinking this morning about what future commems the mint should consider. Being a Saint collector, and with the Centennial of the design coming up in 2007, I would love to see a special Ultra High Relief 2007 Saint, with the exact same design as 100 years ago, except the date would be MMVII instead of MCMVII. As long as the mint could do it in the proper relief (a big if!) then I'd pay up for one! I know this is kinda lame, but if they could do it with the buffalo nickel, why not with what is arguably the most beautifully designed coin ever produced by the mint? So what commems would you like to see in the next few years?

Sounds good, I'm all for almost any classic with a strong relief.

BTW, I lost my whole data base collection a couple weeks ago and haven't picked it back up. On the good side I did learn my way aroung excel,,,a little.

John

I think it would work, so long as it was an exact type. I'd go into temporary debt to get a proof and uncirculated version, too. Still, they'd have to get it right!

I can just see the caricature the mint would use as the design for a coin collector's commem! Grumpy person leaning over a dealer's table holding a coin, and the following exchange:

Dealer, It's MS-65, I want 4x graysheet

Buyer, It's PO-1, I want to pay 1/10th graysheet

Either that or a series which deciates the following collecting activities:

Cleaning: depicts person working a coin with a polishing cloth (cause it's easier to see on a coin)

AT: depicts a person, a coin, and a bottle of chemicals. It would also be the first time the mint uses multi colors on a coin, depicting the colors streaming out of the bottle

Thumbing and fingerprinted: a big thumb print and a happy face below it

Slabs: The coin will be cast in lucite with an engraving of details on it so that when it's slabbed, it's barely discernable so as to not distract from the slab.

I'd love to see a flowing hair dollar with a depiction of a manual coin press on the reverse struck on silver.

BTW - I'd also like to see the entire the mint offer collectors the entire mint/proof year set in original alloy and high-relief. The sac could be gold.

ironically enough, I do have a 29-cent stamp commemorating numismatics! I was thinking yesterday, why the mint did not commemorate itself on its bicentennial in 1992.

2006 (Jan. 16) marks the 300th birthday of Ben Franklin. I'd like to see an excellent commemorative for that event. Perhaps one with the wild turkey on the reverse, as thiat was his choice for the national bird - and an excellent choice at that. (I truly love the birds).

Hoot

No more Saints, please. Besides, we get more Saints every year with the AGEs. And no more of any reincarnated designs like the Buffalo Buck. Leave the past in the past. While I'll be the first to admit that many modern commemoratives' designs are severely lacking, retreating to the past isn't the answer. We need some real artists and real sculptors working on coins. The Saint-Gaudens designs succeed because Augustus Saint-Gaudens was an extraordinary artist, and was allowed to design unencumbered by focus groups, committees, and other busybodies. There are great artists in this country today, I'm sure of it. We just need to let them have their shot at designing coinage.