• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another NGC to PCGS Price Jump by Electric Peak Collection

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

...and I didn't pay it.

As some readers know, I am nearing completion of my main business strike Liberty Seated half dime date and mint set. Of the seventy coins in the Registry set, I still need five, and may upgrade a few others. One of the holes is for the 1865-S. One of the Gardner examples was auctioned by Heritage yesterday.

In the Gardner sale just over two years ago, this coin sold for $4406.26 as an NGC MS65 with green CAC sticker. Since then, it got a change of clothes, crossing the block yesterday as PCGS MS65 with CAC endorsement. It sold for $7637.50, making tidy profits for Heritage and the seller.

So I go back to a theme about which I have written previously: Is this increase due to the PCGS registry accepting only PCGS coins? In this case, the answer must be a definite maybe. I was the underbidder. In the live session, it started under $5000 (including BP). Had I not bid at all, it may have sold for little more than it did two years ago. Had my last bid won, it would still have been a big increase in price for a coin that would not have gone into the PCGS registry. (I'm only in the NGC registry.) Nevertheless, someone was willing to bid more than I was. I may check to see if it appears in the PCGS registry, and report back.

Alan

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection