• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin grading for super high grade modern

7 posts in this topic

I own quite a few MS67+ silver roosevelts from NGC and PCGS. I am reasonably good at looking at a coin in hand with a reference like Photograde or ANA standards of grading and after a few minutes pick a grade within 5. I am unable to do it without a reference.

But my question is, is there use in submitting all my MS67+ looking to score one MS68? Are there references in looking at ultra high grades like these that may help me eliminate some. I reviewed every PCGS grading video but I am not capable currently of telling the difference between 66-68.

I own quite a few MS67+ silver roosevelts from NGC and PCGS. I am reasonably good at looking at a coin in hand with a reference like Photograde or ANA standards of grading and after a few minutes pick a grade within 5. I am unable to do it without a reference.

But my question is, is there use in submitting all my MS67+ looking to score one MS68? Are there references in looking at ultra high grades like these that may help me eliminate some. I reviewed every PCGS grading video but I am not capable currently of telling the difference between 66-68.

If possible, rather than consulting grading refereneces/videos, look at coins in holders at the grade level you're striving for. That could be at coins shows and/or auctions and should be far more effective.

I'd also suggest getting some guidance from expert collectors or dealers, who can view your coins in-hand.

Thanks Mark for the reply. I have 80 or so MS66/66+/67/67+ examples, but my ability to see MS68 of silver roosevelts is non-existent in hand. I certainly can look at coinfacts. I have a friend who helps me with my coin endeavors but he says the same thing which is compare compare compare, but images are the best I have with no in hand capabilities.

Thanks Mark for the reply. I have 80 or so MS66/66+/67/67+ examples, but my ability to see MS68 of silver roosevelts is non-existent in hand. I certainly can look at coinfacts. I have a friend who helps me with my coin endeavors but he says the same thing which is compare compare compare, but images are the best I have with no in hand capabilities.

There aren't any shows in your area?

there is actually one in a few weeks. but I have gone the last 4 times and never are there any graded roosevelts, I am not kidding. I need Erwindoc to come because he lives in my area. I also know he has dimes

"I been looking for a while for quality strong strike roosevelts but luck has been slim."

That might be an indicator that you are doing your search correctly.