• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secured my final San Francisco Walker needed for my short set.

4 posts in this topic

It's all downhill from hereThe 20 coin short (1941-1947) set may be considered a relatively easy set to put together, when compared to the intermediate set (1934-1940) and, especially, the early set (1916-1933), but finding well-struck, lustrous, S-minted, 1940s coins is not an easy task by any means. The last nice 1943 S MS 66 coin that I saw and that I really liked sold almost 3 years ago back in December of 2013. I decided to pull the trigger on this one, because the strike is about as nice as I've seen, luster looks great, fields and devices are smooth and it has some interesting warm, golden toning about it; albeit NO CAC sticker.Now, I only have 8 'easier' coins left to contend with that are considered 'widgets' and were all both well-produced and mass-produced. Four of which are Philly coins----the 1941 P, 1942 P, 1945 P and 1946 P. And the other 4 are Denver coins----the 1943 D, 1944 D, 1945 D and 1946 D. Only the 1943 D and 1944 D will be slightly more challenging.The theme of my short set has always been gem or better and well-struck, lustrous coins. I also try to find nice original pieces, if/when they crop up, and IF they meet my other criteria. I also look for OGHs and no-line fatties, when I can get them. Just TWO coins in my set are 'only' gems and the rest are premium gems with just one superb gem. I may add a couple more superb gems (MS 67s) before I'm done---likely the 1941 P and 1942 P coins would be good candidates. I can see the short set finish line, now, as I am 60% complete with all of the difficult strike rarities secured and in place.It';s been challenging but still plenty of FUN. I always advocate buying the tougher dates FIRST and that strategy has worked well for me, so far.

17655.jpg

See more journals by Walkerfan

Congratulations!

When you set high standards it will always take more time but the satisfaction of knowing you have a quality set can't be beat. Like you, I try to get the most expensive coins out of the way first because if you wait you may well end up paying more for the coin later. You have a very good eye for Walkers!

Gary

Long ago, I was working on a similar set and decided to buy the "key" coins first. My reasoning was that the common coins would probably not increase in value much -- because they were 'common.' However, key dates were under constant pressure and would go up in cost and probably decline in available quality. So I got the S mints first, then D and then P. The 40-S,41-S and 42-S were about as fully struck as possible for the issues - no flat hand.

When I traded the set years later, I got much more value for the dollars invested. (And a 1795 EF dollar, too)