• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three cent silver coin Question

10 posts in this topic

I have been looking at an auction site and there is an 1859 3 cent silver piece graded PCGS 64 with a green CAC sticker. I know that the trime was the smallest silver coin ever produced, but this one has an unusual feature. It seems as though you can see part of the reverse design showing thru on the obverse of the coin. I've never seen this before. It may be the photography or it may be the fact that the coin is so small and thin. Is it real? Does it hurt the value of the coin? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you for the information. Talked to a dealer friend and it turns out that the coin simply has clash marks.

Clashes are common (think about how thin the coin is - 1.55mm).

But there is another phenominon known where they overused the dies called PIDT (Progressive Indirect Die Transfer) where part of the reverse die transfers to the obverse die and vice versa. It's most commonly visible as a blury but distinct star on the reverse.

Clashes are common (think about how thin the coin is - 1.55mm).

But there is another phenominon known where they overused the dies called PIDT (Progressive Indirect Die Transfer) where part of the reverse die transfers to the obverse die and vice versa. It's most commonly visible as a blury but distinct star on the reverse.

We used to call this "ghosting," but I like the technical term better.

As a rough description as to how it works, imagine two dies coming together with a thin planchet between them. The high area of each die is the field; the design elements are recessed.

Where the field of a die hits the planchet, the force impacting the planchet is somewhat greater than an area where a recessed design falls upon the planchet. That greater force is transmitted through the newly-struck coin to the opposing die, where it causes slightly greater die erosion than does the force passing through the coin where there is a major design element. The same of course is true for the force coming back from the opposing die. Over an extended die life this uneven erosion can result in the outline of one major design element appearing in the opposing die. As a rule small design elements such as dates and lettering do not transfer this way.

The phenomenon is also quite common on Lincoln cents of the late 1940's and early 1950's.There the cause is believed to be slightly inadequate die steel.

TD

The US Mint still calls it "ghosting." It is also often encountered on Standing Liberty quarters. It is the relationship between planchet thickness and die depth that is the culprit. Many half dimes also have this problem.

Fairly mild one (I'll have to dig for a more obvious example), but you can see on the obverse the bulbs of the C above and below the star points at 1:30 and 4:30...

I have coins where there is an entire blurry star on the reverse.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The most extreme ghosting I've seen is on British pennies and halfpennies of George V (1911-36). The master hubs had to be replaced multiple times to counteract this effect, and the problem was not fully solved until the coins of George VI (1937-52).

The most extreme ghosting I've seen is on British pennies and halfpennies of George V (1911-36). The master hubs had to be replaced multiple times to counteract this effect, and the problem was not fully solved until the coins of George VI (1937-52).

I am familiar with these, but don't own any. Many halfpennies and pennies, from the early 1800's onward, exhibit this problem.

Does anyone have pictures to share with the OP?