• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent

5 posts in this topic

Hello I am new here, I would like help with a Flying Eagle Cent I have received in a bulk purchase of coins.

These are the best Photos I could take at the current time I will try and get better ones that show the colour better.

1856obv.jpg

1856obv2.jpg

1856rev.jpg

1856rev2.jpg

The question I have are:

1. Is this a genuine coin

2. Any Idea what has cause the Marks on each side

3. If this coin genuine could it be an error as the tip of the wing next to the A seems to have a break/gap

4. Would it be a good idea to have this coin graded.

Thank You for your help

Here is a picture of a high grade (MS-65) genuine example with which you can compare the design details.

1857%20Flying%20Eagle%20Cent%20O_zpsqe4hwioi.jpg1857%20Flying%20Eagle%20Cent%20R_zpsqpvkqlau.jpg

1. When I first looked at this I was thinking "genuine," but then I saw the mushy aspects to it on the reverse, so I'm not 100% sure.

2. The marks look like rubber band burns that are caused by the sulfur in the rubber. I don't think that they can be removed without leaving marks that just as bad.

3. You can compare the wing with the piece that I posted. I can't see what you believe you are seeing. In any case if it is something, it's probably too minor to bring any premium.

4. The 1857 is the most common Flying Eagle Cent. This is not worth the grading fee because of item #2. If this were an 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, it would be another story, but it isn't.

1. Is this a genuine coin

2. Any Idea what has cause the Marks on each side

3. If this coin genuine could it be an error as the tip of the wing next to the A seems to have a break/gap

4. Would it be a good idea to have this coin graded.

Thank You for your help

Welcome to the forums!

1. I don't see anything immediately suspicious about the coin. If it is a fake, it is a really good one, and these pictures won't be enough to confirm or deny it. As Bill mentioned, the dentils around the rim of the reverse look weak, but there is a bit of variation in these.

2. While I'm not convinced the marks are from rubber bands, they are from contact with something. The result is a toned/stained surface. If it isn't corroded (which it doesn't appear to be), then the coin should have no problems grading - it just won't be worth as much because the eye appeal is hurt quite a bit. I don't think conservation will be successful at removing the marks.

3. The cause for what you see on the wing tip is the same reason for the weakness of detail that Bill mentioned. The die appears to have been polished (the die is the inverse of the coin - low points on the coin are high points on the die). As a die is used and polished, these high points tend to wear a bit - which can reduce the detail on the coin. What you are seeing on the wing is from a worn die, and is perfectly normal. It is not an error.

4. If the coin is genuine, it appears to be a high grade circulated piece (in the mid-AU range). Because of the negative eye appeal from the stains, this coin is probably worth around $175-$200 - which really isn't worth the added fees of getting it slabbed.

The coin is an 1857, not a 1957 but that's a common mistake. I agree with Physics fan's assessment for the most part. The coin probably isn't worth grading or encapsulation simply because it's final value would be eaten up by the costs involved. Rather, I think if you wanted to realize full value put the coin into a well attended coin auction and see what happens. A room full of people won't be able to let it fly under the radar and since these are pretty desirable, you might be surprised.

Coin Zip, Proxybid, etc. are places to shop for an auction house. You can simply mail the coin to them.