• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctions drive me crazy ...

64 posts in this topic

From the photo, it looks more like a real AU - but the lighting is very different.... Still it's a nice coin.

Some of the misunderstanding might be that assumed "value" is being confused with condition.

While Bill's photos aren't the greatest, this isn't the first time you have seriously undergraded a coin. It won't be the last, either. Bill's photos aren't usually terribly flattering to a coin, and that will account for some of the discrepancy - but your grading is generally too harsh compared to the TPGs and most graders today.

(Side-note: Bill, I would really like to get a really good photographer to spend a few days with your collection....)

From the photo, it looks more like a real AU - but the lighting is very different.... Still it's a nice coin.

Some of the misunderstanding might be that assumed "value" is being confused with condition.

I can't speak for others, but my high end AU grade assessment has nothing to do with "value". The coin's value didn't even cross my mind. But rather, I looked at the images of the COIN.

I don't know if I qualify as a "really good photographer", but if Bill were to send his collection to me, I would happily photograph it.......

.....and most likely eventually send most of it back. :);)

"...but your grading is generally too harsh compared to the TPGs and most graders today."

Thanks! I consider that a compliment and validation of honest, consistent coin grading - not "grad inflation" or "market grading" or "this little piggy went to market grading."

:)