• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Quarter

10 posts in this topic

Well, I did it; I ordered one of the gold quarters today, 2 hours and 45 minutes after the release (I was busy). I could not believe there were any left after this amount of time. I ordered it online and was done in just a few minutes, no problems, no issues. This is the first time that this has ever happened. I guess that the one order per customer works. I hope that they continue this method in the future.

I passed on this one. There were coins in the Heritage auction that grabbed my attention far more.

I guess the market markers don't think that they can promote the quater the way they did the dime.

I guess that the one order per customer works.

The price also helps chop down the number of people chasing after it. One per person would have delayed the sell out of the gold Mercury, but it would still have been quick because a lot of people could afford it. But the quarter is a greater stretch for a lot of people and the half dollar will be an even greater stretch. I know if I wanted these coins I could have bought the dime, the quarter would be doubtful, but the half would be out of the question.

I passed on this one. There were coins in the Heritage auction that grabbed my attention far more.

I guess the market markers don't think that they can promote the quater the way they did the dime.

Same here, I'll be writing more on the twenty I won yesterday when she arrives...This coin just called out to me and as a type collector I was looking for the best I could find.

Gary

The quarter looks like a much better product than the dime, although I think the price is about double what it should be. The mintage limit (they've already been made) and household limit have helped make distribution more equitable.

Hmm, now I will have to check these quarters out. I passed as well, based on the exceptionally poor quality of the dime. I suspect that this, as well as the high price, have dampened interest in the quarter.

I just checked it out on the mint site. It looks like a better reproduction of the design than the dime was, but I think a nicely preserved example of an original 1917 Type I is sharper. Of course the original 1916 Standing Liberty quarters had their execution issues, given the limited number of Mint State, Full Head examples that I have seen. They are not as nice as the 1917-P Ty 1 coins.

As I understand it, the Mint was going to work from 1916 original models/casts, etc. The 1917 quarters by George Morgan, although far better than the 1916s were never under consideration for the "centennial gold" project.

I guess that the one order per customer works.

The price also helps chop down the number of people chasing after it. One per person would have delayed the sell out of the gold Mercury, but it would still have been quick because a lot of people could afford it. But the quarter is a greater stretch for a lot of people and the half dollar will be an even greater stretch. I know if I wanted these coins I could have bought the dime, the quarter would be doubtful, but the half would be out of the question.

I agree. Like the Kennedy half, this coin is far above the price point for the overwhelming percentage of real collectors. Speculative buying will create an aftermarket.

For collectors who can afford it and might want it, there are far better coins available for the same or less. For me, there are easily tens of thousands of coins I would rather have for the same money or less.