• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medieval English Silver Coin Identification?

5 posts in this topic

I have 5 small hammered silver English coins that I recently picked up for $10 each, I feel like I got a good deal and the flips they are in do identify them but I can't find a good price or grading guide for these coins. Does anyone here have experience with these Medieval English coins?

Here is what is written on each coin flip, I will upload some pictures soon as well.

1: English silver halfpenny, 1399-1509, "at top right is HEN for Henry", "very nice bust of one of the king henrys in center.", made in London.

2: English silver long cross halfpenny, made 1279-1509, made in mint in Tower of London, "portait of king in center with long hair and crown."

3: English silver Farthing (1/4 Pence), made 1279-1509, "smallest of the era, scarcer than larger type coins, nicely-preserved portrait of king in center"

4: English silver halfgroat (2 pence), made 1509-1544, "The A to the right of the shield is a gothic A, standing for the Archbishop of Canterbury. This coin minted under his auspices at the Camterbury Mint" Note this coin is missing about 1/3rd of the coin to the left of the shield.

5: English Silver Penny, made 1272 to 1483, EDW for King Edward, king portrait in center and cross on reverse. not small piece broken from lower left 6o'clock to 9o'clock.

I hope someone can give me some insight into these coins. Thanks!

The information you provide doesn't really narrow anything down.... There aren't really any pricing or grading guides for these, but there are identification guides.

If you can post pictures, someone here may be able to give you more help.

The guide by Spink has information useful for you:

Coins of England & the United Kingdom: Standard Catalogue of British Coins 2016

This is the standard reference for English and UK coinage. It does list "values" for many of the issues in a few grade states. However, as a "value guide" it is about as useful as any price guide -- that is, it is a rough estimate. Your best bet for values are to find recently sold comparables.

Best, Brandon

I have forming a collection of these coins - one for each British king that is available. This is very much of visual part of the market. You really need to post pictures for anyone to help you.

If they are genuine, you can't get hurt at $10 apiece.