• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin photos

20 posts in this topic

I highly recommend collectivecoin.com. It is very easy to add coins. When you pull up a picture, click "forum" at the bottom and then paste the image here. No ads and you can view other great collections that people here have posted.

Click on the photo and it enlarges then under the pic there are small words. Click on the word "forum". You should then be able to paste it into your new post box. I haven't done it yet so if I'm wrong about pasting someone else will jump in but the word forum is under the enlarged photo

W7OQO3olSyHbsOWw1ZFG_16830163548608.jpg

the front of the coin has some of these marks

if anyone has any idea about this coin please comment

sorry about the size. I am really new at this

Looks raised to me, not scratched. Perhaps it was struck by some supposedly discarded dies. Not really to informed on that facet of U.S. Mint procedures, but do not many forum members have discarded dies with X's scratched into the surfaces? It is very interesting. I'm sure you will get plenty more opinions.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jim

At first I thought that it was post strike. After looking closer ay the steps on the reverse you can see that they cross over the strike. The same with the top of the of the memorial. Part of the design is in the strike, not behind as I first thought. The secon U in Unum is also in front of the strike. On the obverse there appears to be that the tie and lapel also are noticeable through or in front of the strike

I have lots of questions especially be new to collector field

No, those look like they are indented, not raised. The main light is coming from the right, making highlights on the raised coin features (mottoes, etc) on the right, but the highlights on the features in question are on the left, indicating they are indented.

They are indented like large gouges. Another reason I found it strande that the steps and aforementioned parts of the design of the coin could be seen in the dent ,not behind. Still very interesting

Thank you everyone for your input. Don't know what I will do with the coin, but I appreciate all the comments. I am far from any kind of pro in this part of the world.