• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QUESTION: 1969 Proof set, worth certifying?

7 posts in this topic

For the 1969 proof set in question, the nickel is a cameo on both sides, but not able to go dcam due to several hits (!) on the lower jawbone that lightly break the frost, as well as weak frost on the reverse. The half is a no-question cam minimum, and may have a shot at dcam. Does the current value of these coins make it worth the $10 each to certify them?

I'm pretty ignorant in this segment of the market.

James

No these coins to be worth a bit have to be 69 Ultra Cameos it seems.If it appeals to you though submit and put it in your collection.But it sounds kind of ugly.Just send it to me because you don't want that modern trash meeting your early gems devil.gif

NGC appears to have tightened up on their CAM/UCAM designation. These "shot" coins are frequently getting shot down now.

Is it worth it to certify them? Possibly. The set likely cost you very little, so even with certification there is little downside to you.

Just a FYI, Cameron recently sold a 1969 5c in NGC PF68CAM for under $11, so the coin will need to made either PF69 (it won't based on the hits you mention) or UCAM (it won't based on the hits/frost breaks you mention).

The Kennedy might be a little better. A PF67CAM will bring slabbing fees. A PF68CAM will bring around $20. A PF69CAM double that. Add 33%-50% more if it is a tweener CAM and gets the Star designation.

A DCAM is worth certifing if it makes PF67 or better.

Your best bet is to put the set on eBay and list cameo in the subject line and not mention the grade of the coins. Let the market decide its value and fight it out.

Guys, thanks for the advice. I think I'll follow Greg's suggestion and list the set on eBay. I thought it pretty cool to stumble across an original set with that's actually intact with some cameo coins! It seems there must be very few intact sets out there.

Off to eBay it shall go!

James

I thought it pretty cool to stumble across an original set with that's actually intact with some cameo coins! It seems there must be very few intact sets out there.

They're still out there, but not usually in dealer hands. Most dealers know they have more value and will either price them high and still sell them quickly or crack them open and submit/sell the cameo coins. This is especially true of pre-1965 sets.