• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry sets!

20 posts in this topic

It sure would be nice if the folks with the registry sets would post photos of their coins! I really don't see any use of the public listings of the coins without anything to actually look at!

• Administrator

There are 8,750 coins in the registry with pics. A nice number, but percentage-wise pretty small. I agree! More photos. smile.gif

It sure would be nice if the folks with the registry sets would post photos of their coins! I really don't see any use of the public listings of the coins without anything to actually look at!

Yes Monty, more pictures would very nice, without them you must pretend in your mind what the coins looks like, and that’s really no fun at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

I myself have been working on getting more images into my sets, right now I have most of my older coins imaged, my favorites that is, but still have a lot more to do with my post 1950 stuff. In time I also plan on getting a description for each coin into the sets.

If I couldn’t have posted pictures of my coins, I wouldn’t have bothered putting them online. My goal is to share my coins with other collectors on the web; I can only discuss coins with my wife so much before she tells me to drop it you know. 893blahblah.gif

There are 8,750 coins in the registry with pics. A nice number, but percentage-wise pretty small. I agree! More photos.

I know how you can get that number to go up by one…

…add the second Liberty Head five cent piece in the 1883 proof set, right now there is only a slot for one, not the two needed for without cents and with cents. wink.gifwink.gif

…add the second Liberty Head five cent piece in the 1883 proof set, right now there is only a slot for one, not the two needed for without cents and with cents. wink.gifwink.gif

893whatthe.gif

An absolute necessity.

Rexcat - I just had a look at your 1883 proof set - WOW! What a great looking bunch of coins. Way to go! 893applaud-thumb.gif Great photos too.

Hoot

Hoot,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I picked up some tips on imaging coins from Beth Deisher’s article in CW back at the beginning of the year. Learning a new lighting method has helped me get better images in regard to color. I’m planning on posting (soon) some of my findings in coin photographing that I have learned through trial and ERROR over the last couple of months. I’m hoping this will help or motivate other folks to get those coin photos up! thumbsup2.gif

Rexcat;

I agree nice set! The photos are great as well. I really like that 1883 proof half. Now if everyone would do like Rex there would be a great collection of coins to look at!!!

Especially, pictures of the highly scored sets in the Registries would be appreciated. Most of my so-so, also ran Registry sets are accompanied by scans. I wish that my digital camera had not been stolen!

I have pictures and comments on every coin that I have posted to the registry. It takes a lot of time an effort to do that, and yet there are few rewards. The people who run the registry don't give out any prizes for it. And the number of views on my sets don't amount to much. To date I've had two people send me an email telling me how much they enjoyed my display.

I agree with BankNote1. These #1 rated, award winning registry sets that have NO pictures and NO comments are useless and boring. They don't educate anyone. At best they show is that some guy has gobs of money and as spent it on a high grade collection. At worst they are farudulent presentations from people who have gotten their hands on some serial numbers.

Why aren't there any rewards for registry sets that might teach someone something and are not just a boring list coins? Registry awards should be like displays at conventions.

BTW my coins are under the type categories. Have a look if you like. There are not POP 1 coins, but there is some pretty nice stuff.

• Administrator

Actually, we do give out a prize for Best Presented every year.

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=240

We're also adding some features soon that will help emphasize coins with pictures, and popularly viewed sets.

Hello Bill,

I admire your sets a great deal particularly the gold and appreciate your comments and pictures. OT3, Rexcat and Hoot also have beautiful presentations. I intend to redo mine when I have the time.

Calypso

I am slowly adding them to my Mercury Dime set. I am about 1/2 done, and I'll get some more photos up later. I do enjoy the sets with photo more than sets without, but it is time consuming to take and edit photos. When it is done, though, they are more fun to look at.

I placed my first 2 sets on the Registry with photos. I am rather new to coins and thought it would be a nice place for insurance reasons. Not to mention I am able to show my online friends my 2 sets and how my upgrade's are going. I have changed my photos a few times (playing with paint shop) to make them look more eye appealing.( the images) not coin.

I hope its ok to link them so you all can view them:

proof Link

Mint State link

I agree with the photos and serial numbers for insurance purposes. With the registry, you get all of that and the set cataloging for free. A great service!

Approximately half of my registry collection contains photo's. The other half will be up soon. Keep in mind, although you raise a fair point, obtaining quality photos of your coins is easier said than done. One suggestion I have for people who buy coins from established internet dealers is to request a photo of your coin upon purchase. Some dealers take really good pics and most others are improving. Some may even have a photo archive if you purchased something in the past....

I agree with everybody and I think everybody will agree with me. It is a lot funner when looking at the coins in the registry to see the pics of that one coin you may have never seen the such a high grade and to know that someone out there is lucky enough to own that coin. It make me what to know as much as I can about that coin, and also I would like to go and maybe find me one of those coins some day. Seeing coins I have never seen before makes collecting the coins that I have collected so much more worth it.

• Administrator

Just in case you guys haven't noticed it, I thought I'd mention one of the new features. If you go to the total ranking page:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/TotalRanking.aspx

If you click on the column headers, you can re-sort the results. There's a neat little column there called "% images". This is the percentage of coins in sets that have an image uploaded. Sort by that, and you'll find who in the registry has the most coins with images.

From there it's an easy step to click on their name, and view their "coin gallery".

Have fun!

Arch

OK I'm one of the registry participants you are complaining about in this post. I have several top ten sets with no pics and few if any discriptions.

First let me say that I agree completely with your thoughts on this but in reality it's not as simple as snapping a couple of pics. I have an older digital camera and the best pictures I can get are garbage. I could post my lousy pics but what would be the point. Unless I can post quality pictures anyone viewing my sets would still be in the dark as to the quality of my coins. Someday I hope to get a better camera but a nice SLR digital is still very expensive and I, myself, would rather put the money into more coins.

Now descriptions are a bit different, again I could add discriptions, but why? I liked these coins when I bought them so I'm not going to bag on them in a description. And my idea of booming luster and a perfect strike will not be the same as anyone viewing my set. The beauty of any coin is in the eye of the beholder.

Chris

I agree with the photos and serial numbers for insurance purposes. With the registry, you get all of that and the set cataloging for free. A great service!

I thought about that too. OTOH it also tells the bad guys where the good stuff is. laugh.gif

I finally bought myself a safe. Just a fire safe that can be bolted down but I figure it's better than nothing at all for now since I'm at a greater risk of fire/ water damage than would be thieves. Once I saw the dollar figure NGC put on some of my sets in progress I figured I'd better start getting security minded. thumbsup2.gif

The best place to keep a collection is in the Bank Vault lock boxes, IMO!

Chris, I am glad that everyone, that has a registry coin se,t doesn't think like you!!!