• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for the Lincoln Experts, Help!

10 posts in this topic

So as I was upgrading a few coins in my circulated Lincoln set, I was looking through the Red Book and it listed a "Weak D" variety for 1922. Now I am out of date on a lot of things and just assumed the 22 either had a D or it didn't. At any rate, I noticed that the coin I upgraded had a weaker looking D than the one which replaced it. So my question is, what differentiates a "Weak D" and is the one I am attaching such a variety or is it just a normal D with wear? Thanks for your replies! 22d1.jpg

22d3.jpg

I posted a similar thread some time ago. I think the weak D is even weaker than that. I think it's when the d is just a faint outline. I have one that is even fainter than that. To the point that it is almost gone. Wish it was gone, though. smile.gif

Jeff, here is my 1922 weak D. It's not as good of condition as yours but you can see what I mean by it almost not being there.

Neil

122258-1922weakd.jpg

122258-1922weakd.jpg.a0c33c88f00435a8d80e57244a711fdc.jpg

That is VERY helpful neil! Thanks! It's so odd with certain classifications like this how subjective it can be. My understanding is that the D would get progressively weaker as the die was polished, and I guess it's a matter of opinion where the official "Weak D" starts. I would classify mine as weak, but not "Weak" if that makes any sense!

I know what you mean. I'm not sure where the official weak point starts. I think I read somewhere that it was at the point where it looks like a shadow on the coin. But that could just be my thinking based on this coin. Yours does look like a nice coin, though! When I got it, I thought I had the coup of the dealer's inventory. But I still got it for a decent price. He's the guy I scored that awesome walker from for $25.