• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this 1806 Half

7 posts in this topic

I saw this one on eBay and was thinking on bidding, but I am concerned that it might be fake, so I am asking opinions on the coin from my Bust half expert friends. Here is the pictures:

Obverse

Reverse

Hi Jeff,

I don't have my Overton book with me, but it looks likes this is an 1806 O-119a, the sunken die variety. This obverse die is the "workhorse" of the 1806 halves, being used on O-118, O-119, O-120, O-121, O-122, and O-126.

Note the very weak central hair detail, and the hair ribbon is barely visible from the "sunken die" effect. The drapery lines, stars, dentils, and outer periphery details are struck much better than the central details. The eagle's right wing is weak on this variety.

All of these striking characteristics make grading and pricing of this coin very difficult. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I would grade this a VF20. O-119a is R.3 rarity, the prime 119 is R.4.

Perhaps the NGC experts could offer an opinion on grading coins such as this with a weak strike.

I am not as worried about specific variety as that can affect the value, but not as dramatically as if it were fake! That is my main concern, as this is a raw coin, I just want to be reasonably confident that it's a genuine coin. Thanks for you input!

Jeff,

I always attribute draped bust halves for Overton variety before buying, I own 32 different die varieties in the draped bust series. Attribution is the only way I can determine if it is bogus. Most counterfeit bust halves are with the capped series 1807-1839. There are many of them, some are deceptive, others are so bad that Liberty looks more like a cartoon character. Some have actually sold for surprising money, there are people who collect bogus halves by year and variety!

There is an interesting chapter in Jules Reiver's Early Dollar book regarding a fake bust dollar, I can't remember the variety or date. Jules owns two bust dollars of the same variety with exacltly the same wear pattern and circulation marks. One is a fake. They have both been certified as being genuine!

There is no reason to fake a weakly struck 1806 O-119a half dollar. I believe it is genuine. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Bill

Darn my slow computer! I was sniped by not 1 but 3 people in the last 15 seconds as I waited for the page to load! Oh well, there will be others.