• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1879 IHC (REVEALED)

18 posts in this topic

Please guess the grade. The coin is tilted in the slab, which made it harder to image. The close-up of the obverse makes the coin look darker than it is in hand. I have included a slab shot that better shows the obverse color.

gQ6lgOR7RMmbYYoycUtd_1879_NGC_MS65RD_1c_SC_Obv_500x500.jpg

PgvXSOSQ2gKiWocgkyw9_1879_NGC_MS65RD_1c_SC_Rev_500x500.jpg

v9O9c5a8RrOGR01RskI6_hw6aaK1WQrqgmpNWBmQn_1879_NGC_MS65RD_1c_SC_Obv_Slab_Blackout.jpg

I do not collect cents, but I will say somewhere in the range of MS-63 - MS-64. If I had to guess on the color, I would say RB.

Based on the photo of the coin in the slab I will say this one made it’s way into a RD holder back when NGC graded it. Would it still make it into a RD holder today ??

Grade is at least MS64 probably MS 65 , huge jump in price to 66 if this is a RD designation so I won’t go that high.

It’s not that you can’t afford it Coinman , but there are not many of them at 66 RD.

It’s a nice coin I like it.

Just to be a curmudgeon, generally an agreeable woodgrain effect around 64. Some worrysome marks, foreign matter, etc. in front of the face so not sure if it would even straight grade by today's demanding standards at all the services. They could say "foreign substance", "residue" or env. damage..... But tough to tell from those pictures.

I apologize for being slow in updating my thread. I want to thank everyone for the advice and opinions. I posted this piece because I recently submitted it to Rick Snow's Eagle Eye/Photoseal service, Rick held it for a bit as he was on the fence (his words) with regards to the color. I think the coin is a bit brighter in hand, but do think the slab shot of the obverse does a decent job of showing the color.

The coin currently resides in a no line fatty and is graded as MS65 RD.

I apologize for being slow in updating my thread. I want to thank everyone for the advice and opinions. I posted this piece because I recently submitted it to Rick Snow's Eagle Eye/Photoseal service, Rick held it for a bit as he was on the fence (his words) with regards to the color. I think the coin is a bit brighter in hand, but do think the slab shot of the obverse does a decent job of showing the color.

The coin currently resides in a no line fatty and is graded as MS65 RD.

I like the coin , a good chance if graded now it would wind up in a RB holder. But it's close.

Did you get the Eagle eye sticker ??

Before shipping for reconsideration I'd give the coin a hard look to determine if it's somehow ventured a hair too much to the brown side.

Before shipping for reconsideration I'd give the coin a hard look to determine if it's somehow ventured a hair too much to the brown side.

I don't plan to send it in for a regrade. I may send it in for a reholder.