• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tungsten-filled gold eagles appear in coin shop

7 posts in this topic

There is a story ATS under both bullion and coins about three gold eagles that were hollowed out and a tungsten disc inserted. Done like the two-headed magician coins...one side and reeded edge left intact to form a cup, the tungsten disc inserted into the cup, and then the face of another coin glued over the disc. The seam is on either side where the field of the coin meets the raised rim.

Passes X-ray or other tests because the exterior is original 22kt gold. Weight right.

DOES NOT PASS RING TEST!

TD

I would expect that the seam would be visible with a 10X loupe and a good light source. It's just a matter of knowing what to look for and taking the time to actually do it.

I would expect that the seam would be visible with a 10X loupe and a good light source. It's just a matter of knowing what to look for and taking the time to actually do it.

Exactly. Nobody ever had to check there before. Now they do. Both sides.

See...that's what happens when "they" phased out the incandescent light bulb...!

All that surplus tungsten around looking for a home....Next will be mercury coated "proofs" made with excess mercury from fluorescent lights being replaced by LEDs.

Poor Rudolph is next!

RWB:

In my house,"they" didn't phase out incandescents; I phased out incandescent lights. :)

I also phased out CFLs. I hated those lights. LEDs, though, I really like. So I read all your books under LED lighting.

Mark

Yeah, I like quality LEDs too. Gradually replacing the CFLs as the price of LEDs comes down. I was being a bit sarcastic about the "they."