• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Stacking? Dragon? Nah... Right?

7 posts in this topic

The various forms and opinions on precious metal obsession.

So I've referenced previously that I've been picking up some silver bullion lately to complement the government issued graded bullion I amassing before (and probably will again soon). At this point I think the horde of silver bars (below) outweighs all the graded silver in terms of silver weight. Which group is more valuable I guess would be a matter for some debate.

I've spent some time recently in the "Silverbugs" reddit -- I found it in part because my wife is obsessed with reddit - and a lot of people over there seem to heap hate on "graded bullion." I think I've seen the word "stupid" waved around a lot. But it's become apparent to me that some people attach a value and a preference to slabbed modern government issued bullion and some people really really don't.

I don't see it stopping me. Never does never has. I just won't be sharing any pictures with them. lol

Still, it's interesting to see all the different takes on collecting, coins, and precious metals.

Of course, our spouses can have an entirely different perspective on the whole thing.

My wife is a little harder to ignore though. She finds my obsession with shiny metal ridiculous in a profoundly hilarious way. She likes to call me her "dragon" and jokes that I'm related to Smaug when we watch the hobbit. It's all good-natured and in fun (and I find humor in it too) but she refuses to listen to me when I point out that dragons generally emphasize gold and I'm obsessed with silver. According to her it still counts. This doesn't seem right to me.

I took the photo right after I got one of the decoder lenses for the Sunshine mint bars and rounds. I'd been wanting one for a while. I'd wanted to see how/if that security feature worked. Really really neat as it happens.

17385.jpg

See more journals by Revenant

The only bullion silver I own are Canadian Maple Leafs. I used to own a few of the 100OZ engraved Johnson Matthey bars (in the 1980's) but these seem to sell at excessive premiums and I won't pay it..

The only bullion coins I cam interested in owning are ML or ASE. For bars, JM, Englehard, Royal Canadian Mint and Perth Mint.

The only bullion silver I own are Canadian Maple Leafs. I used to own a few of the 100OZ engraved Johnson Matthey bars (in the 1980's) but these seem to sell at excessive premiums and I won't pay it..

The only bullion coins I cam interested in owning are ML or ASE. For bars, JM, Englehard, Royal Canadian Mint and Perth Mint.

The premium on the 10 oz bars is nowhere near as steap as for the govt bullion though. Depending on where you're buying the premim isn't that different than the premium in 90% these days. The 10 oz bars actually have a lowere premium than most of the kilo bars becasue they're so mass produced.

The value of small silver bars is in what you can get for them in dollars, euros or beef quarters. Yes, they are shiny, but even Smaug couldn't eat the stuff and had to subsist on the occasional wandering Dwarf or stray cat.

I am familiar with the premiums, or at least those I consider reasonable. I check California Numismatic Investments occasionally. To my knowledge, the JM bars I used to own have not been produced in a long time. Those I see are on eBay where, when I have looked, the ask prices include an excessive premium.

and a lot of people over there seem to heap hate on "graded bullion." I think I've seen the word "stupid" waved around a lot. But it's become apparent to me that some people attach a value and a preference to slabbed modern government issued bullion and some people really really don't.

Well are you collecting graded coins, or are you stacking silver. The two are not the same thing. (Disclaimer, I don't do either.) f you are just attempting to stack as much silver as possible, the premium being spent on the graded coins could be used to stack even more silver.

And if you have two silver eagles one raw with $20 worth of silver in it and a PF-70 worth $240 and silver goes up $10 an oz, the raw one is worth %50% more, but there isn't necessarily a reason for the slabbed on to go up even the $10, and almost certainly won't go up 50% like the raw one did.

and a lot of people over there seem to heap hate on "graded bullion." I think I've seen the word "stupid" waved around a lot. But it's become apparent to me that some people attach a value and a preference to slabbed modern government issued bullion and some people really really don't.

Well are you collecting graded coins, or are you stacking silver. The two are not the same thing. (Disclaimer, I don't do either.) f you are just attempting to stack as much silver as possible, the premium being spent on the graded coins could be used to stack even more silver.

And if you have two silver eagles one raw with $20 worth of silver in it and a PF-70 worth $240 and silver goes up $10 an oz, the raw one is worth %50% more, but there isn't necessarily a reason for the slabbed on to go up even the $10, and almost certainly won't go up 50% like the raw one did.

Yes, I'm aware of the difference between coin collecting and silver stacking. The subreddit is called "silverbugs" and the description is inclusive of coins and numismatic interests. So I don't think I was completely off base for thinking it was more than "just" silver stacking there.