• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So do the rules of color progression apply to this coin?

12 posts in this topic

Or is everyone going to say the coin follows the rules while jumping from yellow to magenta instantly and in splotches while not in bands of color?

76713.jpg

This coin does a better job of following the "rules" of NT, but one will go unquestioned as NT and the other unquestioned as AT. I don't think either one is NT but the point is, as always, the "science" changes from series to series, and apparently the morgans are immune to whatever was done to the P$.

s-l1600.jpg

The two coins do not look remotely close to each other. The first coin looks like what one would expect in terms of color and pattern from a bag toned Morgan Dollar. Of course I am very biased since the first coin is mine. I will reserve comment on the second coin since it is currently listed for sale by another forum member.

Here are links to other images (including the reverse) of the Morgan:

https://collectivecoin.com/coinman23885/all-coins/ykXaze2BwLtXMqO4mZv6

Here is the reverse of the Peace Dollar in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-Peace-Silver-Dollar-ICG-Genuine-AT-Rainbow-Toned-Colorful-Toning-/331820690720?hash=item4d420ded20:g:ZAAAAOSw6wRXATfk

The Peace is obviously AT. Nothing more needs to be said about that abomination.

The Morgan does actually follow the color progression that is expected. It isn't an instant transition from yellow to magenta - the expected colors are present. At first, I thought the green in the center was weird - but that is a second cycle green compared to third cycle at far right. Elevation chromatics are clearly present, which is only possible with gas deposition (and is a good indicator of natural toning - although not a 100%indicator).

Based on other Morgans I've seen, this one feels right. The colors are correct, the progression is correct, and the elevation chromatics speak in its favor. The Peace dollar is absolutely AT. The Morgan doesn't have anything that points to AT. If I were in the market - I'd buy it.

The two coins do not look remotely close to each other. The first coin looks like what one would expect in terms of color and pattern from a bag toned Morgan Dollar. Of course I am very biased since the first coin is mine. I will reserve comment on the second coin since it is currently listed for sale by another forum member.

Here are links to other images (including the reverse) of the Morgan:

https://collectivecoin.com/coinman23885/all-coins/ykXaze2BwLtXMqO4mZv6

Here is the reverse of the Peace Dollar in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-Peace-Silver-Dollar-ICG-Genuine-AT-Rainbow-Toned-Colorful-Toning-/331820690720?hash=item4d420ded20:g:ZAAAAOSw6wRXATfk

I came across it on google images and I see now it is for sale, so I apologize for that part. But the coin is just an example of hundreds of coins with that kind of toning, and I don't mean to single out any particular coin. In fact there are 5 others very similar on ebay just in the recommended links.

But the area that t me incorrectly gets a free no questions asked just because these are popular is in the front of the face, the yellow to magenta area there does not band from one color to the next. I actually have no problem with any other area of the coin except that.

I don't see how any one can call this "expected color progression"

But I will find another coin to use as an example out of respect for coinman

s-l1600.jpg

So ive replaced the op coin with a similar, though smaller image of a different coin. But same Yellow to magenta instant change on what is a flat field. And with no symmetry whatsoever. The zoom shot would be similar so Ill leave that.

Here's another, on any other coin this thing gets SLAMMED.

Imagine someone posting a raw Walker or p$ w this exact same color.

03354320_large.jpg

Here's a progressive yellow to magenta. Notice how banded and the cherry red in between.

s-l1600.jpg

I came across it on google images and I see now it is for sale, so I apologize for that part. But the coin is just an example of hundreds of coins with that kind of toning, and I don't mean to single out any particular coin. In fact there are 5 others very similar on ebay just in the recommended links.

I'm not upset at all; no problem. I only refrained from commenting on Shane's auction because comments can have a much bigger impact on no reserve auctions than direct offerings.

The Morgan looks natural and the Peace looks juiced. However, one must be careful when siting color progression as a method of authentication, as it doesn't always work. It implies that the toning was formed in a closed laboratory with steady airflow and no surface contaminations or changes in environment during the toning process. Coins do tone unevenly; different parts can tone at different times; and surface contaminants like hand oil, dust, sulfur, and other compounds can interrupt the supposed standard progression.

Sometimes you can tell that color is not normal for a specific issue; i.e., Peace dollars did not develop neon rainbows in the manner of the present example, probably due to changes in planchet treatment and storage methods between 1904 and 1921.