• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One reason why there were no 1947 proof coins.

12 posts in this topic

This little letter is among the private papers of Edness Wilkins, personal secretary to mint director Nellie Ross. Enjoy it.

March 20, 1947

Mr. T.R. Hammer. Librarian­

American Numismatic Association,

Marinette, Wisconsin

Dear Mr. Hammer:

I think this is an excellent summary of my statement. It will be necessary, however, to revise that part about proof coins.

Since I wrote you of the probability that proofs would be made, before very long, heavy medal orders have been coming in, which reduces the chance of our being able to give over facilities [for] proof making.

Of course the striking of proof coins will ultimately be resumed, but probably not this year….

Yours very truly,

Nellie Tayloe Ross

Director of the Mint

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've encountered that explanation before, and it makes sense in the context of the time. There were so many persons who served in World War II that it took years to strike all of the medals needed to recognize both their service alone and whatever additional awards were made for particular individuals. I suspect that the Mint outsourced the reducing of the artists' models to hubs, but all or most of the actual medals were struck in-house. Since the Mint worked on fixed, annual appropriations, there was not additional money to hire more workers. In fact, the combined payroll of the several mint facilities dropped quite a bit after the war.

The back story is that private companies had been active bidders for producing military medals until the war ended. Then, most retooled for more profitable civilian work and the demand all fell on the Mint Bureau - which was short of staff and had trouble hiring because of low wages. (Government work offered stability but not the kind of financial advancement retiring GIs wanted. The party controlling Congress had great difficulty understanding this...well, they nearly all did.)

The medal backlog was big, but the real problem was with Congress and who would get the profits from proof coins. Overall, it was a very petty argument, but it delayed things another two years.

What is interesting is that when proof coin production did resume in 1950 there were cameos struck in all denominations. Although rare these coins can be had with deep mirrors and heavy cameo devices - a great difference from the '36-'42 era coins.

The "cameo" coins were not intentional products. They occurred when new proof dies were put into service at the same time. The book on 1936-1942 proof coins explains this.

I'm in the process of acquiring that book and 'From Mine To Mint' from Wizard. They offer a deal if you buy both. I had to check with upper management first !

The 1936-42 proof coin book is not out yet. Trying to find a better printing price.

What I bought was 'Trial and Experimental Coins of WWII' and "From Mine to Mint' for around 70.00. Maybe not a special deal but only flat rate shipping of 9.95. Can wait to get them. I ordered autographed copies and I hope they are available.

Wizard will call me if they are out of autographed book, and then I will go to their warehouse and sign more.