• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971-S DDR Silver FS-801 US Mint Sealed Ike Dollar?

11 posts in this topic

I recently sent this 1971-S PF silver US mint (Hard case) sealed Ike Dollar to NGC for grading. I don't have the final number grade as of this post. The coin is still in the Quality Control stage at NGC. But they did place the assigned Variety of the coin on the invoice information page. It read 1971-S DDR (double die reverse) FS-801 US Mint Sealed. My question is: Is this a relative uncommon variety that may increase the coins value?

Reason for sending the coin in to be graded was that, this coin has a fabulous proof cameo mint strike and has no dings or any scratches that I can see. Just a Beautiful Coin!

Any input would be appreciated.

Varitey plus shows that there have been 3 graded by NGC with mint sealed. They don't have stats on not mint sealed. It will all depend on what grade you get.

In a high grade it will likely add some value. Not so much in a low grade.

Yes, I paid for the variety designation. They posted the Variety of the coin on the invoice which is posted online. Coin's status is still in Quality Control at this time. When they finalize and ship the coin, they will post the designated grade online.

My question is: Is this a relative uncommon variety that may increase the coins value?

If you really want to know, you should contact the Ike Group which is a collectors club for the series. You can check to see if they have a web page as I have not.

To my knowledge, there are only a low number of varieties from any 20th century to date series which carry a noticeable or substantial premium, whether Ike dollars or otherwise. Most if not all of them are in the Red Book.

I agree with the prior comment that most of any incremental value will be due to the grade.

First off, the FS-801 for the 1971-S Silver Proof IKE is an AWESOME example of die doubling! IMO, it has the largest spread of ANY Eisenhower Dollar Doubled Die. Very much along the lines of the 1961 Franklin DDR.

66-AMERICA-ADoc.jpg

19a-1971-SDDR4000689ANACSPR68DCAM-America.jpg

15-1971-SDDR4000689ANACSPR68DCAM-America.jpg

Secondly, given the fact that the doubling is such a strong spread, the coin has some very hefty premiums associated with it.

Lastly, NGC should publish pictures of the coin since they have gotten some serious attributions totally wrong in the past. PCGS as well.

Many folks have paid serious premiums for FS-103's which simply were NOT FS-103's.