• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading opinions welcome on this one, please attribute

16 posts in this topic

That one there is the VARIETY, when you bring it home you better not show it to the wife! (thumbs u

hahaha, I wear the numismatic pants in this family so the wife lets me get away with murder as long as I purchase more winners than losers ;)

1794 Overton 102. And how dare you call this FH a Bust :grin:

my apologies, I thought bust nuts collected all Overtom varieties, even FH. Sincere thanks for the attribution, may I ask how certain you are of the variety?

MANY THANKS to all who took the time to comment, much appreciated. It is a 1794, the top of the date shows clearly in hand. I personally think it is basal state 1, a 2 is a stretch imho but I am a fairly conservative grader. The condition isn't the greatest either but then again, these are so rare that most collectors don't care as long as they can put an affordable piece in their set. It has been in my bank box for a number of years and I can't find any notes on it but I think I found it at a flea market. Would love to have this date in XF. One can dream...

the closest I can get is 1794 in around FR2 bent

a generous grade, thank you. Even though it was dented the coin lays flat. Definitely cleaned too so I doubt it would make it into a straight grade slab...

my apologies, I thought bust nuts collected all Overtom varieties, even FH.

Some do. Some focus on just one of the 5 series. FH are much more expensive and scarcer than CBH. For example, I would love to move earlier in the series, but FH and DBH are too expensive for me to collect regularly right now, so I stick to CBH and RE.

my apologies, I thought bust nuts collected all Overtom varieties, even FH.

Some do. Some focus on just one of the 5 series. FH are much more expensive and scarcer than CBH. For example, I would love to move earlier in the series, but FH and DBH are too expensive for me to collect regularly right now, so I stick to CBH and RE.

Oh, I've known a few in my time- I used to collect capped bust halves by Overton variety, had over 400 varieties but got bored and sold off that collection several years back to finance my half eagle set. I'm a mor eprivate collector though so I don't normally join organizations or get too close to anyone in the hobby for fear of a midnight visit by someone looking to relieve me of my collection. (I do keep it in the bank, but they could still take our lives, something we need to be mindful of in the internet stalker age) I had almost every half dollar issued from 1794 to the end of silver coinage, the latter stuff in gem and superb gem, but it all went to pay for the half eagles. I envy you and miss my half dollars greatly, but I have had so much fun learning about my new passion that the sting of selling is almost gone now. Wish I had some of the nicer R5 and R6's to offer you- I saved them until there was almost nothing else left but they finally had to go. Made someone happy out there though!

Wow wow wow, a man who thinks like me! Talk about specializing- I collected deep prooflikes many years ago but again, got bored because they are so few and far between. I think I sold what few I was able to round up to that point in my life to David Hall just before he started his grading service back in the mid 1980's. I know he would have gotten my mercury dimes, which was the bulk of my prooflikes because I also collected first strikes in that series and they almost always came with full prooflike surfaces. I would love to have that collection back! I also looked at your bust half set, very nice, a lot of hard work went into that for sure. Thanks for sharing!

my apologies, I thought bust nuts collected all Overtom varieties, even FH. Sincere thanks for the attribution, may I ask how certain you are of the variety?

I looked at star #1 and the hair curl at and above star one, it matched up with the Overton book. This was more a guess because of the condition of the coin.

I was kidding with the Fh-Bust comment I knew what you meant . :cool:

I looked at star #1 and the hair curl at and above star one, it matched up with the Overton book. This was more a guess because of the condition of the coin.

I was kidding with the Fh-Bust comment I knew what you meant . :cool:

I could tell you were kidding, no offense taken. And yes, it is in poor condition, a 'lowball' if I ever saw one, hard to get much more wear and still read the date! So there wasn't enough of the reverse left to make the match for the die pair? I wish I could remember where I put my Overton book :/