• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on a bust half

4 posts in this topic

At the Tacoma coin show today, I saw a nice bust half, I think it was an 1822, and it was a nice XF with some pretty good luster remaining, and a very strong strike. But it just looked funny to me, like maybe it was a fake. There was something odd going on with the obverse that almost made it look like a die clash. And then, despite the solid strike, the edge lettering was the weakest I've ever seen on a bust half. There were spaces on the edge more than 1/2 inch long with no lettering at all! Is this something that's reasonable to see on a bust half, or was my suspiciousness and decision to pass on it for now the right one?

I would think the edge lettering might come from a broken collar, but I doubt a shattered die would cause the same effect. Of course if I knew I wouldn't be asking!

Edge lettering irregularities are very, very common and your coin does not sound at all unusual. And, there very well may be die clashing on the obverse of your coin. Die clashing is very common and can be very severe on Bust Halves. It does nothing to the value of the coin, as it is a die problem, not damage to the coin. Clashing can actually be very interesting, at least in my opinion. Die cracks could also be to blame for what you saw on the coin. They can also be very severe, like clashing.