• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If there were a significent price difference....

32 posts in this topic

...do you think collectors would prefer new books and articles on CD-ROM/ DVD/download, or in traditional printed editions?

My inquiry is practical. I prefer books- convenient, portable, no batteries, bad lighting, easy to use, etc. But the cost of ordinary color book printing seems to have gone through the roof. A press run suitable for numismatic use - 500 to 1,500 copies - has become outrageous and this pushes the retail price into areas where many might be discouraged from buying the book.

If the price for a printed soft cover color book were $45 and the same book in CD or download form was $15, would that influence buying decisions and maintain approximately the same number of copies sold?

Depends upon the reference. There are references for series I do not collect where I would buy it but likely prefer the cheaper option. For the coins I collect, the printed version even at a substantial incremental cost.

I like either, but have an issue with downloadable if I can only download once.

In case it becomes corrupted or lost....my money would be wasted. And, if the source is no longer available, then what?

A book can be held in my hand. I can usually buy a replacement, if I want it, on amazon or ebay or something.

Toss-up

Though, cost is why I don't add more books, unless I REALLY want it. Some I would like to have, I won't buy because of cost and space issues. They haven't offered a cheaper, electronic, version....which, I would buy at ~$15 price, if offered.

More comfortable to hold a book and turn pages by hand. Can I get the '36 to '42 Proofs book for 45.00 ?

That's one of the questions I'm trying to sort through. Information is of little utility if it is not affordable -- kind of like "mental medicine." But, the delivery format is very important to many, including authors.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I can usually find something I dislike with any e-book or CD, so I will always buy the printed version. My new book goes to the printer soon, and doing an electronic version only was never a consideration.

[As a minister friend told me the other evening, "God didn't give Moses the Ten Commandments on a CD."]

I've had my 'Renaissance of American Coinage' for a couple of years. I suppose it will take several more years to really absorb all the info regarding those great sculptors. My compliments to you Roger for your great work !

Print. I have the Dalton & Hamer’s Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century in both download and book form. Even though the download is searchable and the book ginormous I always end up going to the book. Something nostalgic in this I guess

mark

Preferred medium would be print. Would rather thumb through a book than have to access a computer, or, tablet to view material. Technology is transient, and doesn't have the added value printed material commands- don't see scratched CD's or downloads increasing in value as time move forward. Good research books; always!

Since we coin collectors tend to be older, and older people generally prefer hard copy, I think hard copy will best serve the customer base. Just make it a comfortable size font :)

[As a minister friend told me the other evening, "God didn't give Moses the Ten Commandments on a CD."]

No, He downloaded them to a tablet. ;)

A hard copy. (thumbs u

I may want to change my answer. Last night my bookshelf gave up the ghost and dumped several texts onto the floor. The problem is that one text, Steve Thompkins' new "Early U. S. Half Dollars 1794 - 1807" didn't fall to the floor. Instead it fell on my foot--breaking two bones.

See, if I had bought the CD I wouldn't be on crutches this morning!

No one said the pursuit of knowledge would be painless..... Hope the foot heals quickly!