• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another coin I still own for sale on ebay...

17 posts in this topic

I'm guessing stock photo. APMEX does do that in their website.. No problem with bullion, but it does irk me with slabbed issues. If they put 'stock image' on the eBay description it's easy to miss. The website is more clear.

Anyway, it may be a generic widget to them, but now they are getting into territory where a substitution would make for an angry eBay buyer.

Drop them an email maybe? My interactions with them have always been pleasant.

Edited to add: I emphasize the "to them" in my statement above. They buy/sell in large quantities. My only 1921 Peace is an XF and I would consider a 64 a very cool coin to own.

Hey mumu, did you recently buy this coin?

Anyway I'm guessing this is a mistake by Apmex.

That is, if they intentionally posted your coin's photos, at the least that's VERY misleading.

Anyway, who sells a "toned" coin without actual photos?

And the ad doesn't say "5 available" or anything else that indicates the coin shown isn't the coin up for auction.

Something is very wrong here.

Apmex replied to me:

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiry. This photograph illustrates the quality of the coin you will receive, not the exact item. Simply put, this is a stock photo. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns."

If they use a stock photo for a graded coin and the serial numbers don't match up, I know I would return it. It would NOT be the coin I saw on the listing.

They offer an EXCHANGE.

But from their Returns policy: "You have no right to cancel or return any eBay Order."

They owned it, if my memory is correct mumu bought this coin on eBay from apmex a couple months ago. He was also concerned it was a stock photo and wasn't sure it would be the coin he would receive. He did end up getting that exact coin but apparently apmex is still using the stock photo.

That's the thing, I did buy it and as NIck mentioned I began to fear it was a stock photo. Oddly enough the responder on Ebay told me that they use stock photos for their ebay listings, while the girl on the phone told me they use stock photos for bulk sales on the site but not on ebay. I did get the right coin, and it is that exact one on the pic. But obviously a buyer will get something else. Its a matte proof dies strike which is why I bought it, so someone looking for a cherrypick might end up very unhappy.

Recetly the seller of the PL P$ I bought re-listed the same coin a week after I bought it.

I asked them if it was the actual coin being sold pictured. They politely said no and I told them off. Next I might complain to ebay.

They are asking several hundred dollars and can't take the time to post a real picture?

I ask any of you with an account to hassle them. If someone could message them and say you won't buy anything from them in general because of it that would he great.

I'm guessing stock photo. APMEX does do that in their website.. No problem with bullion, but it does irk me with slabbed issues.

That's deceptive if not fraudulent. They are showing you a specific serial number and you are NOT getting that item.

Even for pure bullion, I would probably return it. Though if the grade was the same it might not matter. But for anything with numismatic value, no way would I keep it.