• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting part 15 of 20 posted by danny0603

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Trying to Master the "My Collection" Database

For the past few months I have been trying to master the "My Collection" database. I spend several hours each week entering both my graded and raw coins. I like being to have the reports that I can produce.

I have run across several snafus along the way and have had to improvise.

1. Under "Item Description", I have not figured out what the Catalog Number field is all about.

2. Since I collect coins with low mintages, I wish there was a field for total mintage. For now, I have been entering this info under owner comments, along with the coin serial number if the COA is serialized. ie. 048/999

3. Most of my coins are initially entered as "Raw" until they are sent in for grading. Many of these are not listed in the NGC database and so I have to enter them manually. I cannot understand why when entering manually and it asks for country that the country I want to enter ie. Palau, Andorra and others are not available on the list to select.

4. I have been adding the photos, but don't know if I am supposed to add a photo of my actual coin or whether I can just use stock photos.

5. Under Owner's Comments, I usually put the coin specifications such as size, composition, mintage, etc.

Under the Purchase/Sale tab Purchase Notes I usually note whether I have the original mint packaging.

Of course, the graded coins are easy to enter.

Open for suggestions.

See more journals by danny0603

Danny0603,

I'm enjoying reading your journals.

I think you can use the fields provided in My Collection any way you want to. after all it is "Your" Collection,

Let me give you my two cents worth on a few of the question you had,

I think catalog number might be there to accommodate some sort of "additional records" you might keep of your collection. For example, the first coin you purchased might be #1 in another list, the sixty-sixth coin you purchased might be #66, etc.

If I bothered posting photos I would want them to be photos of my coins, not stock photos. (Except maybe if I included coins I "want".)

There is a field for composition on the Item Description page.

Hope this helps a little.

The most important thing to remember is that you are describing "Your" Collection. Those fields can contain any information that makes sense to you.