• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Much Does Minor Toning Affect A Grade?

6 posts in this topic

Just curious of others opinions as to how much minor toning affects the grading of a certified coin. For example say a proof silver half dollar that has either some minor single spots or a small area?

Thanks in advance.

Minor spots (toning, and not carbon) or a small area of toning would not likely affect the grade unless the coin were very borderline between two grades and the spots/toning were unattractive and in a focal area.

greg sums this up really well thumbsup2.gif

i will just add ir might kill the eye appeal for me

but this is a personal choice

and remember just because a coin is certified does not mean it is that grade or even good eye appeal

Agreed....the toning should affect the grad unless it has a positive or negative impact on the eye appeal. If it's a real beautiful PQ 64...the toning might give a bump up to 65. If the toning is brown or black and splotchy and it's a borderline 64.....it might get knocked down to a 63.

In my opinion, minor toning is generally neutral both in regard to grade and price. However, if it is splotchy or arranged in such a way as to be detrimental then it's a negative.