• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Rarest 1oz BU libertad List

1 post in this topic

Here is how i rank the top 10 most difficult 1 OZ BU libertads to find based off my experience in collecting them as well as talking to other extremely knowledgeable collectors. Although some are rare like the 1998 with a mintage of just 67k, it is pretty easy to find bit it's not scarce. Other coins with mintages of over 1 million can be be very scarce to find hence making them rare as well like the 1988 or 1989. The 1989 is extremely undervalued and finding a nice one in MS67 or MS68 is very rare. The 1988 is difficult to find in any condition.

Due to the crazy low mintages year after year, one could say all these are rare to find. Putting a complete set together took me almost a year and with the newly added varieties discovered over the past uear or so, finding all coins make this one of the most challenging modern coins to collect.

One thing i do like about the Libertad is it is more numismatic than just bullion as most dates including the more recent years are not tied to the spot price of silver. If you want bullion that won't go down if the spot price does then the libertad is the way to go.

#10. 2007 (200k minted but very scarce)

#9. 1989 (scarce date)

#8. 1987 DDO (mintage unknown)

#7. 1998 (lowest mintage 67k Key Date)

#6. 1991 Type 2 (actually a mule of the 1992)

#5. 1988 in any condition (rare and scarce)

The top 4 were all discovered in 2015

#4. 1988 DDR (9 known - NGC & PCGS)

#3. 1999 Mule (3 known- NGC & PCGS)

#2. 1982 DDR (1 known)

#1. 1990 PL (proof like 1 known)

See more journals by TMCGRADY