• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting part 8 of 20 posted by danny0603

2 posts in this topic

  • Member: Seasoned Veteran

Combining Hobbies


I decided in 2011 to start collecting the America the Beautiful 5 oz series. I had looked at the advanced list of 56 coins and discovered that I had been to about 70% of the places on the list. I thought it would be fun to combine photos of the coins with my trip experience and try to visit the other 30% of the places I had not been.


Since the series had started the year before, I needed to catch up and buy the five 2010 coins and decided to buy NGC certified. I was in shock when they arrived and I saw how big the over-sized holder was. I immediately looked to find a storage box to hold this collection- NO LUCK.


To this day, 6 years into the series I just cannot believe that NGC still does not make storage boxes for their over-sized holders. They must have graded thousands of over-sized coins and there is a real need for them. It just cannot be that hard to design and manufacture them.


In the meantime (half-way through), I am suspending collecting these coins because I just do not like having to stack the slabs and then shuffle through them every time I want to look at one of them.



See more journals by danny0603

Link to comment
Share on other sites