• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting part 7 of 20 posted by danny0603

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Cashing In

When 2011 rolled around I was dismayed at the price I was going to have to pay for my Chinese Panda set and was told that gold and silver prices were way up. I had never really paid attention to these prices.

I decided that after 14 years of storing and toting the heavy "Secret Collection" from part 3 that maybe I would sell. I found a place in my city that had good Google reviews and went to get an estimate. I was shocked to find that I would be given 28 times face. I will never forget when the proprietor held up one thin dime and told me it was worth $2.80. I did not sell at the peak but pretty close.

I took my 4 bags down and they were put through a coin sorter and it was determined that there was approximately $4300 face. It did hit a nerve when he called it "junk silver". Little did he know that I had spent 2190 hours collecting that silver from my Dad's cash register drawers. I was just grateful for the inheritance my Dad had left for me.

See more journals by danny0603

WOW, FANTASTIC!

That "junk silver" could pay for a modest home!

Congratulations on that and what a wonderful thing that your father had kept that for you all those years!

Great move to sell when you did. I was in high school in 1965, and over the next five years or so accumulated around $250 in silver from pocket change. Sold about half of it in 79 or 80 when the Hunt brothers tried to "corner the market" in silver -got around 25 times face value, which went into a down payment on a house. I replaced most of that from dealers "junk silver" boxes after the price crashed in the nid-80's, and sold about half of it around 2011, again at aroung 25 times face. My only regret is not selling all I had both times.